Posted to user@struts.apache.org by maya <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2007/05/07 17:00:00 UTC

error on struts 1.1

hi, on this pg of struts 1.1 documentation,
http://localhost/struts-documentation/userGuide/installation.html
(don't know on-line equiv. of this page, as link to 1.1 on this page
http://struts.apache.org/downloads.html#PriorReleases gets you a 404..)

it says where to put jar's, tld's, etc.. but not dtd's... what are dtd's
and where do they go?  I don't see any ref to dtd's in the documenation..

right now trying to do a simple layout.. (so: using only tiles-related
stuff for now..)

but get error:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException
org.apache.struts.tiles.taglib.InsertTag
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:512)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:377)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)

this error tells me absolutely nothing..  in JSP's I have this directive:

   <%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-tiles.tld" prefix="tiles" %>

as for the rest, I put all jars that come with 1.1 download in
WEB-INF/lib/ (don't see a lot of struts-related jars, though, only one
(struts.jar); put all tld's in WEB-INF/...  but don't know where to put
dtd's, (in their own folder? inside WEB-INF/ or inside WEB-INF/lib?? or
just in WEB-INF/?)

why can't I find a ref to dtd's -- and an explanation as to what they
are for -- in documenation?

using Tomcat 5.5..

thank you very much...

Re: error on struts 1.1

Posted by maya <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Antonio Petrelli wrote:
> 2007/5/7, maya <ma...@yahoo.com>:
>>

>> hi, on this pg of struts 1.1 documentation,
>

> Time to upgrade I suppose :-)
>

> 2007/5/7, maya <ma...@yahoo.com>:
>>

>> it says where to put jar's, tld's, etc.. but not dtd's... what are dtd's
>

> I went to Google and typed "dtd", this is the first result:
> http://www.w3schools.com/dtd/default.asp
>

> and where do they go?  I don't see any ref to dtd's in the documenation..
>

> You don't have to worry about DTDs, since they are already included in
> Struts package. DTDs are needed when validating XML files. In your case
> they
> are needed to validate Tiles configuration files.
>

> right now trying to do a simple layout.. (so: using only tiles-related
>> stuff for now..)
>>
>> but get error:
>>
>> org.apache.jasper.JasperException
>> org.apache.struts.tiles.taglib.InsertTag
>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(
>> JspServletWrapper.java:512)
>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java
>>
>> :377)
>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>

> This is another problem, please check if your Tiles definitions are loaded
> correctly at startup. And anyway you should post the complete stacktrace.
>
> why can't I find a ref to dtd's -- and an explanation as to what they
>> are for -- in documenation?
>

> What DTDs are you referring to?
>
> Antonio

here is page for 1.3.5..  http://struts.apache.org/1.3.5/index.html
where is link for download?  (need a version that comes with
documentation built already..)

thank you...

Re: Spam:: getting error when i m trying to make database connection

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
No Class Definition Found Error, where the class is
org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool, you are probably missing
commons pool,

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/pool/

musachy

Re: Re: error on struts 1.1

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
What an email chain!! So much speak, so little investigation....

There is an "all" jar which contains everything (libraries, source,
documentation, etc.) and also a "doc" jar which contains only the
documentation. Also Struts 1.3 does not need the TLD files as separate
entities; they are included inside the struts jars so you don't have to mess
with them.

Paul

Re: getting error when i m trying to run webapp

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/5/8, Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>:

> --- ÍõÐü <wa...@linktrust.com.cn> wrote:
> > Unable to find 'display' forward.
>
> Unable to fix problem.

Unable to stop laughing :-)

答复: 答复: 答复: getting error when i m trying to run webapp

Posted by 王悬 <wa...@linktrust.com.cn>.
If found not this path,it will errors?Ot this path,"UserName.jsp" file is exist
Are you have debug tools for Struts ?

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by 王悬 <wa...@linktrust.com.cn>.
my struts configuration file :
<action path="/usernameLogon" validate="true" type="com.logon.actions
.UsernameAction"  name="logonForm" scope="session" input="UserName.jsp">
                        <forward name="display" path=" UserName.jsp"/>
                        <forward name="next" path="/showLogon.do"/>
                </action>
I think go to errors in struts configuration file ,because in struts configuration file have a lots of "forward name = display"

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- 王悬 <wa...@linktrust.com.cn> wrote:
> Unable to find 'display' forward.

Do you have a forward named "display"?

If you include the relevant portions (贴题 部分?)
of your struts configuration file struts-config.xml
for that Struts的action we may be able to help more
easily.

Dave

答复: getting error when i m trying to run webapp

Posted by 王悬 <wa...@linktrust.com.cn>.
Log4j  configure:
log4j.category.org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping=DEBUG,stdout
log4j.additivity.org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping=false
log out :
INFO   | jvm 1    | 2007/04/20 00:56:18 | 00:56:18 WARN  ActionMapping - Unable to find 'display' forward.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by 王悬 <wa...@linktrust.com.cn>.

RE: Re: error on struts 1.1

Posted by "Karr, David" <da...@wamu.net>.

Re: error on struts 1.1

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- maya <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> (I just downloaded struts-1.3.8-lib.zip, doesn't
> even come with tld's.. how is this possible?

TLDs can be in JARs.

> same thing w/dtd's -- are they needed?

In general, no.

> hen search for dtd's in src download find a million
> of them, in different folders...

Why are you dealing with the source?

Are you specifically trying to modify/compile/etc.
from the source? If not, just use the binary distro.

d.

Re: error on struts 1.1

Posted by maya <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Re: error on struts 1.1

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Re: error on struts 1.1

Posted by maya <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Re: error on struts 1.1

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Re: error on struts 1.1

Posted by maya <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Antonio Petrelli wrote:
> 2007/5/7, maya <ma...@yahoo.com>:
>>

>> hi, on this pg of struts 1.1 documentation,
>

> Time to upgrade I suppose :-)
>

> 2007/5/7, maya <ma...@yahoo.com>:
>>

>> it says where to put jar's, tld's, etc.. but not dtd's... what are dtd's
>

> I went to Google and typed "dtd", this is the first result:
> http://www.w3schools.com/dtd/default.asp
>

> and where do they go?  I don't see any ref to dtd's in the documenation..
>

> You don't have to worry about DTDs, since they are already included in
> Struts package. DTDs are needed when validating XML files. In your case
> they
> are needed to validate Tiles configuration files.
>

> right now trying to do a simple layout.. (so: using only tiles-related
>> stuff for now..)
>>
>> but get error:
>>
>> org.apache.jasper.JasperException
>> org.apache.struts.tiles.taglib.InsertTag
>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(
>> JspServletWrapper.java:512)
>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java
>>
>> :377)
>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>

> This is another problem, please check if your Tiles definitions are loaded
> correctly at startup. And anyway you should post the complete stacktrace.
>
> why can't I find a ref to dtd's -- and an explanation as to what they
>> are for -- in documenation?
>

> What DTDs are you referring to?

all the ones that come w/download...

ok, downloaded 1.3.8.. (can't find url to download 1.3.5..)  gosh, every
version has a problem..  on this one can't find documentation..  has to
be built w/maven..  have never used maven, only Ant..  man, what a pain,
I swear...
what do I need to do to build documentation with maven?

oh brother...

Re: error on struts 1.1

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: error on struts 1.1

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- maya <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> what are dtd's and where do they go?

They're XML document type definitions. They shouldn't
need to go anywhere, although it's been a *long* time
since I've thought about S1.1.

> org.apache.struts.tiles.taglib.InsertTag
> this error tells me absolutely nothing..

It tells you there's an exception in a tiles:insert
tag. Exceptions thrown from inside tiles can sometimes
be difficult to diagnose, as you are discovering. Lots
of logging can help.

> why can't I find a ref to dtd's -- and an
explanation
> as to what they are for -- in documenation?

I don't know, but probably because they're a
fundamental XML "thing" and only Struts-related in the
sense that there are DTDs for the Struts config files.

d.