Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> on 2005/08/09 09:28:51 UTC

Struts website

In keeping with the Maven-or-Ant thread, it's time to think about switching
to the Maven-generated multi-project website.  James has had the "basic"
Maven-generated site available for a while now with the nightly builds.

I made a start on integrating the existing site with Maven's, and posted the
first draft here (also beside the nightly builds):

     http://svn.apache.org/builds/struts/maven/trunk/site-test/index.html

For now all the menus are expanded so you can see what's there.  The menu
structure and navigation are still under construction. :)

This involved copying the existing xml files from
/current/core/doc/  into /current/build/xdocs/, renaming the project.xml
files to navigation.xml, and doing some cleanup.  So, other than it being in
a different location in the repository, nothing changes about the way you
modify the documentation, and none of the links from other sites to ours
will be broken.

The main motivation for this was the realization that even if I update the
existing site, I have no idea what to do about the half-dozen sets of
JavaDoc.  Maintaining an index page and copying the JavaDoc out of each
sub-project isn't appealing, especially not when Maven will take care of it
for you.

The 'multiproject' part of the site is towards the bottom of the menu, under
'Projects'.  For example, here is the Project Reports section for Struts
Core:
     http://svn.apache.org/builds/struts/maven/trunk/site-test/multiproject/struts-core/maven-reports.html
(And yes, I realize there's currently no way to get back to the main site
from here.)

What do you think?  Should this eventually become the "official" Struts
site?

--
Wendy Smoak

Re: Struts website

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Martin Cooper" <mf...@gmail.com>

> Another thing I was trying to tackle - which, in retrospect, was much
> too big to do in one chunk, let alone with everything else too - was
> creating a completely generic "main site" that hands off to the
> sub-project sites, where the main site doesn't get into the details of
> 'classic' or 'core' or anything like that.

What I see happening is to first get the existing site integrated with the
Maven-generated site, (which I'm working on,) then start pushing content out
of /build/xdocs/ into the xdocs directory of whatever sub-project it belongs
to.

One of my concerns is to _not_ break links into the site. I've posted
http://struts.apache.org/mail.html in a great many places, and I'd like for
the links in all those archived Usenet and mailing list posts to still work.
Like you, I thought that trying to reorganize everything all at once was too
much to tackle, and that things would probably get missed.

--
Wendy

Re: Struts website

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 8/9/05, Joe Germuska <Jo...@germuska.com> wrote:
> >I do have the same question as James, though: Can we still generate
> >the TLDs from the same XML as the taglib docs? This is one place that
> >I got bogged down, since it seemed that Maven wouldn't take the extra
> >XML elements, and I would absolutely hate to lose the guaranteed
> >synchronisation we get from using the same source. The best I could
> >come up with was keeping the XML format we have, and using XSLT in a a
> >pre-goal to morph it into what Maven likes. However, if what you've
> >got works already, that would be excellent!
>
> We could consider using taglibdoc instead of our homegrown process.
> With taglibdoc, the TLD files themselves become the primary source,
> and the doc is generated, instead of vice-versa.  There is a Maven
> plugin for this.
>
> Given how many attributes have accreted around our different HTML
> tags, I kind of prefer the frameset/javadoc style of taglibdoc. I
> played around with generating the doc from our own generated TLDs a
> while back, and I was reasonably satisfied.  Looks like I still have
> the (possibly out of date) doc here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~germuska/struts-taglib/docs/tlddoc/index.html

This style is certainly easier to navigate ... but we might want to
lobby the taglibrarydoc folks (if they're still around -- it's on
java.net) to support a way to mark tags and attributes as deprecated,
as we manufactured in our own approach.

The other thing to note is that taglibrarydoc also supports embedded
HTML in descriptions (as long as it's well formed and included in a
CDATA section, so you can make that part even more readable.

Craig

Re: Struts website

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Re: Struts website

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
Good stuff! I was fiddling around with trying to generate the site
with Maven a while ago, but I think I was trying to kill too many
birds with the same stone, so to speak. Tackling it as you have seems
like a more expedient approach.

I do have the same question as James, though: Can we still generate
the TLDs from the same XML as the taglib docs? This is one place that
I got bogged down, since it seemed that Maven wouldn't take the extra
XML elements, and I would absolutely hate to lose the guaranteed
synchronisation we get from using the same source. The best I could
come up with was keeping the XML format we have, and using XSLT in a a
pre-goal to morph it into what Maven likes. However, if what you've
got works already, that would be excellent!

Another thing I was trying to tackle - which, in retrospect, was much
too big to do in one chunk, let alone with everything else too - was
creating a completely generic "main site" that hands off to the
sub-project sites, where the main site doesn't get into the details of
'classic' or 'core' or anything like that.

Finally, I'd like to see us make a conscious separation between
documentation and web site, and have the documentation be separate
downloads (_not_ as a war file) available in a number of formats -
minimally HTML and PDF.

Lots of lofty goals, I know, but that's what I'd ultimately like to
see. That's not to lessen at all the great start you've got us off to,
Wendy. Thanks!

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Struts website

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 8/9/05, Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> wrote:
> In keeping with the Maven-or-Ant thread, it's time to think about switching
> to the Maven-generated multi-project website.  James has had the "basic"
> Maven-generated site available for a while now with the nightly builds.
>
> I made a start on integrating the existing site with Maven's, and posted the
> first draft here (also beside the nightly builds):
>
>      http://svn.apache.org/builds/struts/maven/trunk/site-test/index.html
>
> For now all the menus are expanded so you can see what's there.  The menu
> structure and navigation are still under construction. :)

Looks nice.  I hope the multiproject stuff will allow subprojects to
independently update their own chunks of the overall site
independently, right?

Regarding navigation, what needs to change to get the
subproject-specific navigation bars included?

Craig

Re: Struts website

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Very nice!  The only thing I noticed is could the author, see also, etc.
metadata for a document be placed at the bottom instead of the top?  Now
that we are rendering that, I'll need to go clean it up :)

Thanks again!

Don

Re: Struts website

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On 8/12/05, Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> wrote:
> From: "Martin Cooper" <mf...@gmail.com>
>
> >> Are there any objections to having 'site' or 'website' as a new
> >> sub-project?
>
> > None at all. As Ted mentioned, that was the original plan. :-)
>
> NOW you tell me. ;)  As you probably saw, James set up the new directory in
> the repository.
>
> I'm not sure how to do to the copy and make sure the revision history stays
> with the files.  Will just copying it locally and checking it in work (with
> the Tortoise svn client)?  Everything in /current/core/doc needs to go in
> /current/site/xdocs.

I would recommend using 'svn move <url1> <url2>', which will do
everything on the server, very quickly and retaining the history. See:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/svn-book.html#svn-ch-9-sect-1.2-re-move

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Struts website

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
On the topic of anchors, I changed my mind.  Again.  I had originally
planned to preserve as many URLs as possible, including the anchor names.
But then I decided to just go with whatever Maven came up with, which is the
text of the section name with spaces and special characters replaced by
underscores.

And the anchors kept getting longer, and longer... until I got to the
'helping' and 'kickstart' pages, at which point I just couldn't deal with
having an anchor that looks like this:

kickstart.html#What_s_the_difference_between_Struts_and_Turbine__What_s_the_difference_between_Struts_and_Expresso_

So I'm switching back to the first idea and adding <a name="anchor-name"/>
above the <section> and <subsection> tags that used to have 'href'
attributes.  It's mixed at the moment, but I'll go back through and clean it
up eventually.

--
Wendy

Re: Struts website

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 8/12/05, Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> wrote:
> From: "Martin Cooper" <mf...@gmail.com>
>
> >> Are there any objections to having 'site' or 'website' as a new
> >> sub-project?
>
> > None at all. As Ted mentioned, that was the original plan. :-)
>
> NOW you tell me. ;)

Sorry about that. The bit about "site" was on display in the bottom of
a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the
door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.' "

* http://struts.apache.org/milestones.html#struts_1_3_x

:)

-Ted.

Re: Struts website

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Martin Cooper" <mf...@gmail.com>

Re: Struts website

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts website

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On 8/12/05, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quick related question about the website.  Are the xdocs used by
> forrest compatible with the xdocs used by Maven?  If not, do you know
> what portion of them can be salvaged if any?

I have no idea how the two xdocs formats relate to each other, but
just wanted to point out that the existing Struts site uses neither.
;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Struts website

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 8/12/05, Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would say just remove the <chapter> tags. When I was messing around
> with this a few months ago, that's what I did, and everything else
> seemed to work out just fine. I have no concerns about any limitations
> of the Maven format if we're going to use a different means to
> generate the taglib docs.

+1 ... IIRC we originally modelled our stylesheets after what Anakia
was doing, but there's no reason not to conform to the tags that go
with whatever generation technology we end up with.

Craig

Re: Struts website

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On 8/12/05, Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> wrote:
> From: "Ted Husted" <te...@gmail.com>
>
> > I've done some work in DocBook, and it's not so bad, expecially since
> > there are some editors out there, like XML Mind.
> >
> > I don't suppose just plain-old XHTML is an option?
>
> You want to maintain the actual HTML with the <h1> <h2> and <div
> class="indent"> tags rather than running XML with <section> and <subsection>
> through XSLT?

Ew, no thanks. That would be a big backwards step, IMO.

Re: Struts website

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Ted Husted" <te...@gmail.com>

Re: Struts website

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 8/12/05, Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> wrote:
> From: "Sean Schofield" <se...@gmail.com>
>I'm trying to avoid having
> to maintain a custom stylesheet, and looking at options such as DocBook to
> generate some of the docs.  (The User Guide in particular already has
> <chapter> tags in it-- I think it might have been intended for DocBook from
> the beginning.)

I think we may have pickedup the chapters style from someone else, who
may or may not adopted the idea from DocBook, but that was so long ago
now,  it wouldn't matter.

Re: Struts website

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Sean Schofield" <se...@gmail.com>

> Quick related question about the website.  Are the xdocs used by
> forrest compatible with the xdocs used by Maven?  If not, do you know
> what portion of them can be salvaged if any?

Maven's 'multiproject:site' goal uses the Jakarta xdocs format:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/jakarta-site2.html.  The set of tags is very
limited, and Struts had already gone beyond it and added extra attributes
and tags to the custom stylesheet we were using.  I'm trying to avoid having
to maintain a custom stylesheet, and looking at options such as DocBook to
generate some of the docs.  (The User Guide in particular already has
<chapter> tags in it-- I think it might have been intended for DocBook from
the beginning.)

Google turned up the Forrest version 0.7 release announcement, which led to
this page about running Forrest from Maven:
   http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/howto/howto-forrest-from-maven.html

I'm sure there will eventually be a "Maven Forrest Plugin" if there isn't
already. :)

HTH,
--
Wendy Smoak

Re: Struts website

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts website

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts website

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Wendy Smoak" <ja...@wendysmoak.com>

Re: Struts website

Re: Struts website

Posted by David Geary <sa...@earthlink.net>.
Excellent work, Wendy. I know you've done a great deal of work
on this and we all appreciate it. Even if you are using Maven.

david

Re: Struts website

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.

Re: Struts website

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
+1 for me to.

A few notes might be:

* The Download links could point to anchors on the Acquiring page, to
provide a single gateway.

* In the end, I expect we would have a single Subprojects or Projects
section, instead of two. For subproject labels, I would suggest
dropping "Struts" as understood:

    + Applications
    + BSF Scripting
    + Core
    + EL
    + Flow
    + JavaServer Faces
    + JSF Integration
    + Plugins
    + Sandbox
    + Shale Framework
    + Taglibs
    + Tiles

* At some point, we should move all the documentation under the
subprojects. Taglibs would get the Developer Guides, and most of the
rest would go under Core, the notable exception being the SSL Howto.
As Craig mentioned, ultimately each subproject should build and
maintain its own website.

 * As Martin indicated, we should start to revamp the site generally
so that there is a clear separation between Struts the project and the
products of the project. The current Acquiring and Learning pages
could go under Core and replaced with generic versions that included
the other subprojects.

But, if we can at least do the first two things, and sorted out the
TLD business (as Joe mentioned, it's time we moved away from our
homegrown approach), I think we should be able to go with this for
Struts 1.3.0.

-Ted.

Re: Struts website

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, this looks great!  Not knowing much about Maven, I wasn't sure
what would happen to the user guide and other such docs.  Now I see I
don't need to worry about those.  Good work!

Hubert

Re: Struts website

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "James Mitchell" <jm...@apache.org>

> Do you know how that affects the generation of the tld files?  Or is it a
> non-issue (meaning that hasn't changed)

I don't know yet.  I noticed that the html taglib docs are missing from the
test site, and it's on the list to check out.  (The tlds have to be getting
generated... they're in struts-taglib-1.3.0-dev.jar.  Then it should just be
a matter of generating the HTML from the same source and linking to it.)

> I am +1 for moving over to this approach.  My +1 also means that I am
> willing to help (which I guess I sort of already have ;)

Yes, and THANK YOU for all the time you've spent on email and IM helping me
figure out how Maven does what it does.  I doubt I could have gotten up to
speed this quickly without your help.

--
Wendy

Re: Struts website