Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Ramon Nogueira <ra...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/17 17:45:18 UTC

Stealing outline code from Perl SpreadSheet::WriteExcel

Hi,

I am working on an application for which I need to generate Excel
spreadsheets with outlining. I read in the Limitations section on the
HSSF website that this is not possible at the moment. I have found a
Perl module, SpreadSheet::WriteExcel (on CPAN), that does exactly what
I want.

Unfortunately (in this respect), I'm not using Perl for this project
but Java. It is easy enough for me to write a Perl script, pass the
data from Java to Perl through some IPC mechanism, and then pass the
resulting spreadsheet back. However, it would be much more satisfying
if I could do this all in Java with HSSF.

What are the issues with porting the outlining code from Perl as
regards licensing? If they are surmountable, I would definitely be
willing to spend some time doing it (with the guidance of the HSSF
developers).

Regards
Ramon

Re: Stealing outline code from Perl SpreadSheet::WriteExcel

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
Hi,

HSSF supports outlining. Look at

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/hssf/quick-guide.html#Outlining

Is it what you need? What version of POI are you using?

Try the latest POI 3.0 release candidate. This can be downloaded from:
        http://people.apache.org/~nick/POI-3.0-RC1/

Regards,
Yegor

Posted by Ramon Nogueira <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, haven't tried it out yet but this looks to be exactly what I
need! Congratulations on a truly useful product!
Ramon Nogueira

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.