Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net> on 2005/12/15 19:09:38 UTC

geocities.yahoo.com.br rule help

Ok, I gave it a shot..

This rule *does* work.

uri GEOCITIES             /^http:\/\/[a-z0-9-]{1,30}\.geocities\.com\b/i
describe GEOCITIES        High amounts of spam from Geocities.
score GEOCITIES  6.01

This rule does NOT work.

uri GEOCITIES_YAHOO
/^http:\/\/[a-z0-9-]{1,30}\.geocities\.yahoo\.com\.br\b/i
describe GEOCITIES_YAHOO        High amounts of spam from Geocities.
score GEOCITIES_YAHOO  6.01

My regexp foo is non existent, but at least I *did* try. Can someone
tell me what went wrong? :-)

(I get a LOT of spam with geocities dot yahoo dot com dot br slipping
through. Bayes isn't catching it. One slipped through earlier..

  tests=[DATE_IN_FUTURE_06_12=1.498, SARE_SUB_GETRID=0.151,
  SARE_SUB_MISC_1=0.302]

Re: geocities.yahoo.com.br rule help

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Jonathan Nichols wrote:

>> But that's not the format, there's nothing between the / and the
>> geocities.
>>
>> Try this regex instead:
>>
>> /^http:\/\/geocities\.yahoo\.com\.br\b/i
>

> Cool, I shall try that. Thanks! For some reason, I thought one had
> www.geocities.yahoo.com.br in it, but I could be mistaken.

Well then you can stick (?:www\.)? in between the / and geocities. However, the
original code would require the . and at least one letter, so it would never
match one that didn't have any prefix.

/^http:\/\/(?:www\.)?geocities\.yahoo\.com\.br\b/i

Re: geocities.yahoo.com.br rule help

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

[dos@latitude ~]$ host www.geocities.yahoo.com.br
Host www.geocities.yahoo.com.br not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Re: geocities.yahoo.com.br rule help

Posted by Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net>.

Posted by Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net>.
> Try this regex instead:
>
> /^http:\/\/geocities\.yahoo\.com\.br\b/i

hahaha, this worked - and it tagged that broken autoresponder we've been
seeing.

	boundary="--=ce94da72-0632-49d0-99bb-3f8c8149300b"

:-D

Re: geocities.yahoo.com.br rule help

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Jonathan Nichols wrote:
> Ok, I gave it a shot..
>
> This rule *does* work.
>
> uri GEOCITIES             /^http:\/\/[a-z0-9-]{1,30}\.geocities\.com\b/i
> describe GEOCITIES        High amounts of spam from Geocities.
> score GEOCITIES  6.01
>

> This rule does NOT work.
>
> uri GEOCITIES_YAHOO
> /^http:\/\/[a-z0-9-]{1,30}\.geocities\.yahoo\.com\.br\b/i
> describe GEOCITIES_YAHOO        High amounts of spam from Geocities.
> score GEOCITIES_YAHOO  6.01
>

> My regexp foo is non existent, but at least I *did* try. Can someone
> tell me what went wrong? :-)

Ok, I did look around and found an example:

These particular links look like:

http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/xxxxxxxxx/

Obviously, neither of the above rules will match.

The problem with the second rule is that it's looking for
http://xxxxxxx.geocities.yahoo.com.br/

Re[2]: geocities.yahoo.com.br rule help

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Jonathan,

Thursday, December 15, 2005, 11:12:23 AM, you wrote:

>> Have you tried the 70_sare_specific.cf filter?  I am not sure it will catch
>> that specific problem but it catches spam with geocities and tripod url's for
>> me.

JN> Yeah, I'm using that list. It's been great, but the *.br one kept
JN> getting through.

JN> I DID see THIS in there, though..

JN> header    SARE_SPEC_CLIENT_TOS2    From =~ m'\bscomp\@aol.net'i
JN> describe  SARE_SPEC_CLIENT_TOS2    known spammer address
JN> score     SARE_SPEC_CLIENT_TOS2    2.222

JN> scomp@aol.net is the AOL Postmaster feedback loop address. I don't think
JN>   that one oughta be in there.. unless spammers are forging it. Eeeek!

Yes, it seems to me here that spammers are forging it -- I'm getting
spam to addresses that have not requested the AOL feedback with these
symptoms.  I'm hoping to have an update to specific.cf shortly which
will either tighten up the rule to catch only the forgeries, or do
away with altogether (and let the spammers win until we find a better
way).

Bob Menschel

Re: geocities.yahoo.com.br rule help

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Jonathan Nichols wrote:

>> Have you tried the 70_sare_specific.cf filter?  I am not sure it will
>> catch that specific problem but it catches spam with geocities and
>> tripod url's for me.
>
> Yeah, I'm using that list. It's been great, but the *.br one kept
> getting through.
>
> I DID see THIS in there, though..
>
> header    SARE_SPEC_CLIENT_TOS2    From =~ m'\bscomp\@aol.net'i
> describe  SARE_SPEC_CLIENT_TOS2    known spammer address
> score     SARE_SPEC_CLIENT_TOS2    2.222
>
> scomp@aol.net is the AOL Postmaster feedback loop address. I don't think
>  that one oughta be in there.. unless spammers are forging it. Eeeek!

This came up the other day (or week).  Apparently no one at SARE was
aware of the 'legit' scomp mail but had seen spam with this address forged.

If you're using SA 3.1, I'd keep this rule and add a whitelist_from_spf
scomp@aol.net entry to whitelist mail verified by AOL's SPF records.

Daryl

Re: geocities.yahoo.com.br rule help

Posted by Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net>.

Posted by Pollywog <li...@shadypond.com>.
On 12/15/2005 06:09 pm, Jonathan Nichols wrote:
> Ok, I gave it a shot..
>
> This rule *does* work.
>
> uri GEOCITIES             /^http:\/\/[a-z0-9-]{1,30}\.geocities\.com\b/i
> describe GEOCITIES        High amounts of spam from Geocities.
> score GEOCITIES  6.01

Have you tried the 70_sare_specific.cf filter?  I am not sure it will catch
that specific problem but it catches spam with geocities and tripod url's for
me.

8)

RE: SA not using SARE rules?

Posted by Martin Hepworth <ma...@solid-state-logic.com>.
Hi

So a "spamassassin -D --lint" for a first stab at debugging.

You don't mention how you are calling SA, so maybe there's file permission
issues?????

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Posted by Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net>.
Matt Kettler wrote:
> Jonathan Nichols wrote:
>
>>Ok, I gave it a shot..
>>
>>This rule *does* work.
>>
>>uri GEOCITIES             /^http:\/\/[a-z0-9-]{1,30}\.geocities\.com\b/i
>>describe GEOCITIES        High amounts of spam from Geocities.
>>score GEOCITIES  6.01
>>

>>This rule does NOT work.
>>
>>uri GEOCITIES_YAHOO
>>/^http:\/\/[a-z0-9-]{1,30}\.geocities\.yahoo\.com\.br\b/i
>>describe GEOCITIES_YAHOO        High amounts of spam from Geocities.
>>score GEOCITIES_YAHOO  6.01
>>

>>My regexp foo is non existent, but at least I *did* try. Can someone
>>tell me what went wrong? :-)
>

> Can you post a sample URI that failed to match?
>
> If the first rule matches, and the second rule doesn't I can conclude that the
> URI is definitely does NOT contain the string geocities.yahoo.com.br. If it did,
> the first rule would not match.

I'll post it the next time one shows up.. the cron job that feeds spam
to Bayes picked it up out of the training folder and ate it. :-)

Re: geocities.yahoo.com.br rule help

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.