Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com> on 2009/03/19 02:25:30 UTC

RE: Issue in sending Request/response http headers containing Japanesecharateres

> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Issue in sending Request/response http headers
> containing Japanesecharateres
>
> > java.net.URLEncoder.encode(text, "ASCII")
> > You'll get a string like
> > "foobar%45%67%65%43%45%45%78%69...".
>
> Yes, but in my humble opinion you would be, as they say,
> "cruising for a bruise".

That's "cruisin' for a bruisin'", to be precise.

I think Chris meant:
    java.net.URLEncoder.encode(text, "UTF-8")
which is what W3C recommends.

 - Chuck

RE: Issue in sending Request/response http headers containing Japanesecharateres

Posted by Rajat Gupta05 <Ra...@infosys.com>.
Thanks everyone for there comments.

I was actually comparing the behavior between IIS and Apache, since IIS(5/6) is able to handle Japanese characters inside the headervalues not the header name.

Thanks

Rajat

> > java.net.URLEncoder.encode(text, "ASCII")

> > You'll get a string like

> > "foobar%45%67%65%43%45%45%78%69...".

> Yes, but in my humble opinion you would be, as they say,

> "cruising for a bruise".

That's "cruisin' for a bruisin'", to be precise.

I think Chris meant:

    java.net.URLEncoder.encode(text, "UTF-8")

which is what W3C recommends.

 - Chuck

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: Issue in sending Request/response http headers containing Japanesecharateres

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
And as we recently mentioned the incompleteness of the current HTTP
specification - at least in matters charsets - it may be worth
remembering that it was 20 years ago, in March 1989, that a then
little-known computer guy at CERN named Tim Berners-Lee wrote the paper
"Information Management: A proposal", which invented HTTP and hence the WWW.
And it took still a while after that for Unicode and UTF-8 to settle, so
we can hardly blame him for having bypassed that aspect.
So hats off, and a respectful minute of appreciation.
If he hadn't, what would we all be busy with right now ?