Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Vincent Keunen <vi...@manex.be> on 2002/07/21 18:39:18 UTC

Re: Proposal? Object Databases

I'm not an expert on this but I just read an article (in Linux Magazine
June 2002 - no online articles :-( ) mentioning OODBMS, clearly
mentioning ozone <http://Ozone-db.org>as an interesting product (open
source java DBMS), talking about ODMG <http://www.odmg.org/>as
specifying OQL (object query lg, the SQL of OODBMS) and a standard API
(ala ODBC/JDBC).  I also know about JDO
<http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/related.html> (Java Data Objects)
that you might want to look into.

Good luck

Lavandowska wrote:

>This is more of a question than anything:
>
>I recently attended a presentation on Object Databases.  I've explored
>them in the past, but never seen such a clear demonstration of their
>strengths.
>
>In the spirit of "I've got a new hammer, what can I hit with it?", my
>questions are: given OODB's purported strengths will large sets of
>data, would JAMES benefit from supporting an OODB as the repository?
>Would this be an appropriate use of OODB?
>
>I've only looked at Ozone-db.org, but the interface to it looked
>significantly different than the presented Objectivity.  Is there a lot
>of variance in OODB interfaces, such that implementing a general
>OODBRepository would be prohibitive?
>
>Thanks for you consideration.
>
>Lance

!try; do()
--
Vincent Keunen, Ir, http://vincent.keunen.net
Manex, rue Wagner 93, BE-4100 Boncelles, Belgium