Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric Wilhelm <ew...@sbcglobal.net> on 2004/07/03 00:50:50 UTC

Re: lock (or just a "do not eat" sign)

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Patrick Dean Rusk
# on Friday 02 July 2004 12:58 pm:

>    Actually, it's still in design phase and there's active discussion on
>the developer's list of releasing 1.1 without it, so that other features
>(e.g., file system back-end) won't be held up waiting for locking.

Okay, so it will be a while before locking is available.  Is there any
"read-only" property?

I'm using subversion for perl module development, and I've been saving my
release tarballs under trunk/data/releases (which makes it really easy to
script the cpan release process.)  It just occurred to me that  these
tarballs act as a sort of "golden copy" in the repository.  They won't ever
actually change, so there's not a lot of point in putting them under revision
control.  But, it makes them automagically available via the webserver, and
if I ever forget to increment the version number before a release build, the
plan is that I'd see the change and revert the tarball.

So, is there some way to put a "do not eat" sign on the file?  So that, for
instance I'd have to use --force to check-in on top of it?

Thanks,
Eric
--
"There are three terrible ages of childhood -- 1 to 10, 10 to 20,
and 20 to 30."

Re: lock (or just a "do not eat" sign)

Posted by Felix Collins <fe...@keyghost.com>.
Eric Gillespie wrote:

> Eric Wilhelm <ew...@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>

>>Okay, so it will be a while before locking is available.  Is
>>there any "read-only" property?

If you are using per-directory access control you could just set that
directory as...

[MYREPOS:/tarballs]
* = r
specialuser = rw

Re: lock (or just a "do not eat" sign)

Posted by Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org>.
Eric Wilhelm <ew...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Okay, so it will be a while before locking is available.  Is
> there any "read-only" property?

You can do anything you want in the pre-commit hook, from
"read-only" properties to ACLs.  At Lexmark we have quite a
sophisticated pre-commit that enforces those two and more.

> I'm using subversion for perl module development, and I've been
> saving my release tarballs under trunk/data/releases

Then you don't even need the property.  Just make your pre-commit
hook reject anything other than a file add to this directory.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org