Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2008/10/17 16:12:56 UTC

[axis2] Axis2 1.5

Team:

What do people think about gearing up for a 1.5 release in the
not-too-distant future?  I figure the earlier we start talking about
this the better chance we have of actually getting something out before
too long. :)

We've had some great fixes on the trunk, the new transport stuff, etc.,
and I'd like to see 1.5 go out soon in order to get our first Java 1.5
release out there, and start getting into a habit of releasing a bit
more early and often.  This would also let dependent projects like
Synapse have a solid release which works with the new trunk.

As a strawman, here's a schedule:

* Now - cruise through JIRA and pick the serious blockers.
* Now -> 11/7 - fix critical issues, review code, docs, etc
* 11/7 - cut branch, relase 1.5beta
* Handle beta issues
* 11/14 - release 1.5RC
* Handle RC issues
* 11/21 - release 1.5

What do you think, folks?

Thanks,
--Glen

Re: [axis2] Axis2 1.5

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [axis2] Axis2 1.5

Posted by Saminda Abeyruwan <sa...@gmail.com>.
I believe Axis2 OSGi integration module is stable in its functionalities to
be added to 1.5 release.
+1

Saminda

Re: [axis2] Axis2 1.5

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Re: [axis2] Axis2 1.5

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.
How about a Hackathon at ApacheCon to get some critical issues fixed?
ApacheCon dates fit your time line perfectly...

Thanks,
Keith.

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:

> Team:
>
> What do people think about gearing up for a 1.5 release in the
> not-too-distant future?  I figure the earlier we start talking about this
> the better chance we have of actually getting something out before too long.
> :)
>
> We've had some great fixes on the trunk, the new transport stuff, etc., and
> I'd like to see 1.5 go out soon in order to get our first Java 1.5 release
> out there, and start getting into a habit of releasing a bit more early and
> often.  This would also let dependent projects like Synapse have a solid
> release which works with the new trunk.
>
> As a strawman, here's a schedule:
>
> * Now - cruise through JIRA and pick the serious blockers.
> * Now -> 11/7 - fix critical issues, review code, docs, etc
> * 11/7 - cut branch, relase 1.5beta
> * Handle beta issues
> * 11/14 - release 1.5RC
> * Handle RC issues
> * 11/21 - release 1.5
>
> What do you think, folks?
>
> Thanks,
> --Glen

Keith Chapman
Senior Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc.
Oxygenating the Web Service Platform.
http://wso2.org/

blog: http://www.keith-chapman.org

Re: [axis2] Axis2 1.5

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Jeez, don't everyone pipe up at once now. :)

Glen Daniels wrote:
> We currently have seven JIRAs targeted for 1.5, two of which are
> designated as blockers.  I'd like to at least resolve those two before
> cutting a beta, and then hope to resolve all of them before an actual
> release.  I have some time tomorrow to look into some code, so I'll see
> what I can do.

FYI, I started digging into the temporary files issue [1], and that's
occupied my Axis2-related cycles for the last couple of days.  I've been
rooting around in the classloader code and the way we deal with temp
files, and have come to the conclusion that it kind of sucks. :)

My plan is to:

1) Get temporary file cleanup working in SimpleAxisServer.  Right now it
looks like ALL the temp files stick around when you run this way -
deleteOnExit() may suck memory-wise but it should at least be working!

2) Stop creating temp files when we don't need them, and clean them up
(but avoiding deleteOnExit()) when we do.  I'm hoping to use a slightly
smarter ClassLoader for this, which can read in classes (direct to
memory) from jars inside jars on demand.

> Anyone else who might have a little time to help out with JIRAs and
> general release clean-uppage?

Guess not...

> Do folks think we could release a beta next week assuming we can nail
> the two blockers?  If we can do that, we still might be able to get 1.5
> out by end of year.

This is now looking extremely doubtful.

> Thoughts appreciated.

Still true. :)

Thanks,
--Glen

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3883

Re: [axis2] Axis2 1.5

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Jarek:

No new target date as yet.  Clearly we aren't going to make the end of
November. :/

Re: [axis2] Axis2 1.5

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: [axis2] Axis2 1.5

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me too. I was about to suggest the same. It would be good to
get Axis2 1.5 officially JAX-WS 2.1 certified. It's something that we
will also need for Geronimo.

Jarek