Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chee Yang Chau <cy...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/16 16:39:37 UTC

[users@httpd] WebDAV: Is that possible to set owner and group of new files created in WebDAV share?

Hi,

I have my WebDAV share active in Apache 2.2 in Fedora 13. I also able to
access the WebDAV from my Windows 7 desktop. I use the WebDAV from Win7
desktop just like normal samba share folder.

However, I notice the owner and group of the new files created in WebDAV are
all apache.apache instead my authenticated user name. In Samba share, the
ownership of newly created files follow logon user name.

Is that possible to make the newly created files in WebDAV share follow
authenticated user id?

Thank you.

--
Best regards,
Chau Chee Yang

E Stream Software Sdn Bhd
SQL Financial Accounting

Re: [users@httpd] WebDAV: Is that possible to set owner and group of new files created in WebDAV share?

Posted by Marc Patermann <ha...@ofd-z.niedersachsen.de>.
Hi,

Chee Yang Chau schrieb am 16.09.2010 16:39 Uhr:

> I have my WebDAV share active in Apache 2.2 in Fedora 13. I also able to
> access the WebDAV from my Windows 7 desktop. I use the WebDAV from Win7
> desktop just like normal samba share folder.
>
> However, I notice the owner and group of the new files created in WebDAV
> are all apache.apache instead my authenticated user name. In Samba
> share, the ownership of newly created files follow logon user name.
>
> Is that possible to make the newly created files in WebDAV share follow
> authenticated user id?
As in most cases the webdav user is virtual to the underlying system
(because they are in ldap, sql or .htusers file), there is no uid for
the user - so what uid do you want the files to be owned by? This cannot
work.

Marc

Re: [users@httpd] WebDAV: Is that possible to set owner and group of new files created in WebDAV share?

Posted by "L.M.J" <li...@free.fr>.
Le Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:39:37 +0800,
Chee Yang Chau <cy...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I have my WebDAV share active in Apache 2.2 in Fedora 13. I also able to
> access the WebDAV from my Windows 7 desktop. I use the WebDAV from Win7
> desktop just like normal samba share folder.
>
> However, I notice the owner and group of the new files created in WebDAV are
> all apache.apache instead my authenticated user name. In Samba share, the
> ownership of newly created files follow logon user name.
>
> Is that possible to make the newly created files in WebDAV share follow
> authenticated user id?
>
> Thank you.

Hi,

  I'm interested to the futur answer too. As far as I know, your apache should have something similar to
  "suexec" to be able to create file owned by someone else the default apache user. I wonder if it's possible
  to do so. Wait & See

--
 LMJ
 "May the source be with you my young padawan"