Posted to dev@rocketmq.apache.org by yukon <yu...@apache.org> on 2017/03/10 05:14:25 UTC

The new branching model has been put into effect.

Hi all,

Our new branching model has been put into effect, more details please refer
to [1].

So, please kindly send pull requests to develop branch instead of master
branch. Thanks.

[1]. http://rocketmq.incubator.apache.org/docs/branching-model

Regards,
yukon

Re: The new branching model has been put into effect.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
I just caught this myself as well and called it out in my suggestions for
improving the website. At a minimum, attribution to the original author
must be provided. As Justin mentions, it's probably also a better idea to
link to the Gitflow page that contains the images rather than lift them and
place them on the RocketMQ site.

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: The new branching model has been put into effect.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Yes, we have already added [2] to the end of [1] as a reference, but we
> didn't try to touch the author for the permission from now.

Adding a reference may not be enough depending on how the original content is licensed.

AFAICS the image are copyright the original author and is not under a permissive license so we don't have permission to use them.

You can ask for permission but until that is given I think it would be best to remove the images.

> Call a vote ? It seems too formal. Or keep this thread open util we reach
> an agreement.

It's too early to call a vote and hopefully one will not be required. Lets see if people can agree on the best way forward without a vote.

I think this shows why it a good idea to discuss things on the mailing list before before deciding on a course of action.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: The new branching model has been put into effect.

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin and Bruce,

Thanks for your reminder, a reference is not enough indeed, and we should
always take copyright of  digital assets seriously, sorry for
our carelessness.

I have took down the branching model page from the web site temporarily,
and I am requesting the permission from the author actively.

Regards,
yukon

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Von Gosling <vo...@apache.org>.
> And I have no idea about how to handle this situation that the community
> has some disagreements on the branching model.
>
> Call a vote ? It seems too formal. Or keep this thread open util we reach
> an agreement.

IMO, we’d better give some reasonable explaination about our branch preferable model.

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Our new branching model has been put into effect, more details please refer
> to [1].

I find it a little odd that seems to be have been decided upon off list. Sorry if I’m mistaken or missed it being discussed.

While gitflow was popular, these days it’s recognised to have same issues for example [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://endoflineblog.com/gitflow-considered-harmful

Re: The new branching model has been put into effect.

Posted by Xinyu Zhou <zh...@xinyu.im>.
Don't worry. The latest release is right, contains everything in the release note. We just should do a duplex merge after the release, simple, right?

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 8:51am, Roman Shtykh < rshtykh@yahoo.com.invalid [rshtykh@yahoo.com.invalid] > wrote:
Hi Yukon,
Thanks a lot!
There are two issues then.
1. The latest release is wrong and probably doesn't contain everything as advertised. Shall we cancel it and re-release?Do mentors consider it a problem?

2. How can we make sure that the next release is done correctly?
Obviously, 'develop' branch introduces extra efforts for merging and release. It doesn't seem work well.
-- Roman

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:02 PM, yukon <yu...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi Roman,

The last release didn't do a right merge between develop and master branch,
so we saw a big commit gap.
I have made a synchronization between these two branches just now.

Regards

Posted by Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Yukon,

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi Roman,

Posted by Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Yukon,

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Zhanhui Li <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xinyu Zhou <zh...@xinyu.im>.
Yes, if use CTR mechanism, the rollback or little polishes maybe will happen very often, this new branching model can cover this situation.
BTW, as Xin and Roman mentioned, develop on `master` branch doesn’t have problems, so does develop on `develop` branch.
Regards, yukon
On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Von Gosling <vo...@apache.org> wrote:
The master branch is a stable baseline.
The develop branch is a CI baseline.

IMO, the develop and master branch model are easy to scalable, especially for CTR mechanism and more and more guys contributions. :-)

Posted by Von Gosling <vo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xin Wang <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi,