Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Wm.A.Stafford" <st...@marine.rutgers.edu> on 2008/10/24 16:45:22 UTC

Tomcat 5.5 logging confusion

I am installing Tomcat 5.5.27 on Windows XP as the servlet container for
a Spring MVC app we will be hosting.  I have installed many older
versions of Tomcat with no problems but I'm stuck on this installation.

In older Tomat versions when an application is started, in my case a
Spring based app, loads of Spring output is written to STDOUT.  It is
literally impossible to debug Spring startup issues without this output.

With my current T5.5.27 installation I see some files being created in
the logs dir upon startup: admin,catalina,host-manager,localhost and
manager.  But these files are empty.  There is no output to be found
from Spring.

Where would output to STDOUT be found?
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Logging#Q6 says it should be in
catalina.out.

Is there a way to produce some log entries from the Tomcat distribution
to determine if STDOUT output is going where is is supposed to go?

Thanks for any help or advice,

-- bill

RE: Tomcat 5.5 logging confusion

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Wm.A.Stafford [mailto:stafford@marine.rutgers.edu]
> Subject: Tomcat 5.5 logging confusion
>
> I am installing Tomcat 5.5.27 on Windows XP as the servlet
> container for a Spring MVC app we will be hosting.

Are you running Tomcat as a service or from the command line?  I'd recommend doing it from the command line for easier debugging, at least during early going.

> Where would output to STDOUT be found?

If you're running as a service, you can control disposition of stdout and stderr with the tomcat5w.exe program; look under the Logging tab.  For 5.5, this normally puts said output in std{out|err}_YYYYMMDD.log in Tomcat's logs directory.

If you're not running Tomcat as a service, you'll need to set the swallowOutput attribute for the <Context>s of interest in order to capture the System.out and System.err usage.  The redirected print goes into the webapp's logger, or, if there isn't one, into the catalina.YYYY-MM-DD.log file.

You can set swallowOutput in the global <Context> element in conf/context.xml, if you want it to apply to all of your webapps.

 - Chuck

RE: Tomcat 5.5 logging confusion

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Generally handled by level= which specifies how much logging is requested from common/classes/logging.properties
e.g.
1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = FINE
1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.prefix = catalina.applicable reference is located at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

Thanks,
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note