Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2021/08/29 17:13:12 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Do we have any ideas, initiatives or tools to help non English speakers contribute to ASF projects?

Hi All

Recently I heard about an incident where a potential contributor wanted to contribute something to an ASF project but had found it difficult to interact because of the language barrier. They had very limited English skills.

I'd like to start a discussion to get some ideas around what we could do in general to encourage or help people who may find it hard to become involved at the ASF because of language.

I seem to remember that the latest ASF D&I Survey had some findings around language confidence and that it had sometimes acted as a barrier for new contributors. Do we have any plans, initiatives or existing tools that could help with this?. It would be great to get some feedback from anyone that has experienced this language barrier and discuss what could be done to improve the situation and help others.

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions or ideas? I'd like to hear them. Please join the conversation and let's see what can be done.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: [DISCUSSION] Do we have any ideas, initiatives or tools to help non English speakers contribute to ASF projects?

Posted by Phillip Tröller <hy...@gmail.com>.
Hey, i dont even know if im doing this right but here is my story. Or actually the missing story is the interesting part. Ill make it short, because im not prepared for this message.

I "worked" the last 2 weeks (and 5 years before that) on a topic that HUGELY involves language AI and ... me.

Long story short:
Based on my EXPERIENCE which is neither written down nor scientific i would maybe start to think out of the box/scope/policies and start working on !unifying, all that bad worded but heighly valuable contant! In a (new) language that everybody understands, if he just stays a while and listens.

Holen Sie sich Outlook für Android<https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>
Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Willem

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.