Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mario Mol <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/23 17:48:52 UTC

[users@httpd] client denied by server configuration, but sometimes works and sometimes not!

Hy,

this is my first message at this group, after more than 10 years using
apache =)

I`m using apache on a brand new server and i`ve installed a DTC to help me
manage many virtual hosts.

But i have a website running on this server that, some times, do not shows
images (shoing that `x` of file not found).

error.log:
[Sun May 23 08:49:56 2010] [error] [client 189.82.133.147] client denied by
server configuration: /var/www/sites/dtc/
gemt.com.br/subdomains/www/html/imagens/layout/fundo_topo.gif, referer:
http://www.gemt.com.br/index.php?conteudo=noticias&materia=13722

At apache2.conf i`ve added this to garantee:
<Directory /var/www/sites/dtc>
        Options FollowSymLinks
        Order Allow,Deny
        Allow from all
</Directory>

What i think that this is a bug is that most of time it works but sometimes
not.

Any ideias?

Thanks  a lot!

Server Version:

   - Linux cl-t95-371cl 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 9 22:29:32 UTC 2010
   x86_64 GNU/Linux
   - Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) PHP/5.2.6-1+lenny8 with Suhosin-Patch
   mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8g
   - Server Built: Mar 28 2010 19:04:04

Re: [users@httpd] client denied by server configuration, but sometimes works and sometimes not!

Posted by Mario Mol <ma...@gmail.com>.
Guys,

i think that i've solved the problem.

I created a file /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/mod-evasive.conf  containing:

<IfModule mod_evasive20.c>
        DOSHashTableSize 3097
        DOSPageCount 500
        DOSSiteCount 300
        DOSPageInterval 2
        DOSSiteInterval 2
        DOSBlockingPeriod 50
        DOSSystemCommand "%s > /home/mario/teste"
        DOSEmailNotify msilva@mydomain.com
        DOSLogDir "/var/lock/mod_evasive"
</IfModule>

Wow, i was getting crazy with that error!

Thanks all for your attention.

Cheers,

Posted by Mario Mol <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Mario Mol <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well,
>
> i`ve done apt-get update , so its all fresh new.
>
> Could this be related to some of security mods? For example, mod-security,
> qos, psad?
>
> Cheer,s

In order to serve a file, apache must be able to access it. Since your
configuration looks correct, try this as root:

su -m www -c 'ls -l
/var/www/sites/dtc/gemt.com.br/subdomains/www/html/imagens/layout/fundo_topo.gif'

Change www for the user you run apache as.

If the output from this says "Permission denied", then you either the
file or a directory in the path to the file is not accessible to the
user that apache runs as.

If it says "No such file or directory", then your HTML is referring to
an incorrect URL.

Cheers

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] client denied by server configuration, but sometimes works and sometimes not!

Posted by Nilesh Govindarajan <li...@itech7.com>.
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Mario Mol <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well,
>
> i`ve done apt-get update , so its all fresh new.
>
> Could this be related to some of security mods? For example, mod-security,
> qos, psad?
>
> Cheer,s
>
> On 25 May 2010 01:45, Nilesh Govindarajan <li...@itech7.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Mario Mol <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Should i open a bug ticket on apache.org ?

>> Why not try with a newer version ? It may be a bug in that release.
>>
>> --
>> Nilesh Govindarajan
>> Site & Server Administrator
>> www.itech7.com

No idea about that, but 2.2.9 is quite old, 2.2.15 has been released
around a month ago.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator