Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Claudio Martella <cl...@tis.bz.it> on 2011/07/18 15:01:43 UTC

HBase and Hadoop 0.20-security-append

Hello,

I'm trying to sort out some things about hadoop versions.

I'm currently trying to run both HBase 0.90.3 and Yahoo!'s Giraph on the
same cluster. Officially Giraph supports 0.20.203 and depends on the
security package.
HBase on its side requires append. I thought about going with Yahoo!'s
0.20-security-append to get both these features and allowing to deploy
both the systems on the same cluster.

I'm guessing how HBase behaves with 0.20-security-append. Can I run it
on this hadoop version?

Can anybody quickly report on that?

Thanks
Claudio

--
Claudio Martella
Free Software & Open Technologies

TIS innovation park
Via Siemens 19 | Siemensstr. 19
39100 Bolzano | 39100 Bozen
Tel. +39 0471 068 123
Fax  +39 0471 068 129
claudio.martella@tis.bz.it http://www.tis.bz.it

Short information regarding use of personal data. According to Section 13 of Italian Legislative Decree no. 196 of 30 June 2003, we inform you that we process your personal data in order to fulfil contractual and fiscal obligations and also to send you information regarding our services and events. Your personal data are processed with and without electronic means and by respecting data subjects' rights, fundamental freedoms and dignity, particularly with regard to confidentiality, personal identity and the right to personal data protection. At any time and without formalities you can write an e-mail to privacy@tis.bz.it in order to object the processing of your personal data for the purpose of sending advertising materials and also to exercise the right to access personal data and other rights referred to in Section 7 of Decree 196/2003. The data controller is TIS Techno Innovation Alto Adige, Siemens Street n. 19, Bolzano. You can find the complete information on the web site www.tis.bz.it.

Re: HBase and Hadoop 0.20-security-append

Posted by Claudio Martella <cl...@tis.bz.it>.
Ok, I could try my work on 0.20-security-append, i'm doing research so i
don't have problems of production systems. As a matter of fact i don't
need security enabled, i'm just fighting with Giraph's dependencies on
hadoop 0.20.203, not my requirement there.

I'll try and see if Giraph runs on CDH which would be the best option
for me (as a matter of fact Giraph might not run on 0.20-security-append
neither).

Thanks for your feedback, I'll report back.

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Claudio,

Posted by Claudio Martella <cl...@tis.bz.it>.

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 9:25 AM, David Capwell <dc...@yahoo-inc.com>wrote:

> HBase does work on Hadoop with Security, but you will need the following in
> your hbase-site.xml
>
>  <property>
>  <name>hbase.master.keytab.file</name>
>  <value>/path/to/keytab/hbase.keytab</value>
>  </property>
>  <property>
>  <name>hbase.master.kerberos.principal</name>
>  <value>hbase/_HOST@EXAMPLE.COM</value>
>  </property>
>  <property>
>  <name>hbase.regionserver.keytab.file</name>
>  <value>/path/to/keytab/hbase.keytab</value>
>  </property>
>  <property>
>  <name>hbase.regionserver.kerberos.principal</name>
>  <value>hbase/_HOST@EXAMPLE.COM</value>
>  </property>
>
> You need to set up a keytab for each box running hbase and you will need
> kerberos server and replace EXAMMPLE.COM<http://EXAMMPLE.COM> with the url
>
> Also with Yahoo!'s version, there is no append support so there is a risk
> of data loss.  If this is just for testing/experimentation then that is
> fine, but if you want this to go into production you might want to look into
> Cloudera's latest release that has append + security.

Yes, if you have HDFS security enabled
(hadoop.security.authentication=kerberos), you will need these configuration
entries (and appropriate keytab files) for the HBase daemons to authenticate
with HDFS.

Sorry this part of the setup is pretty undocumented at the moment.  We'll be
filling that in in the near future.  In the meantime, please ask questions
if you run into any issues or get stuck.

Re: HBase and Hadoop 0.20-security-append

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.