Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2021/02/02 22:26:59 UTC

[DISCUSS] ATS code study groups

Hi all,

Sparky suggested that we should do a better job getting new developers familiar with the ATS code base. As such, Bryan and I was thinking of maybe doing a few 4H Zoom sessions, each presenting and discussing some larger portion of the ATS code base. Such as

1. The cache code
2. The Event System and processors
3. The HttpSM
4. Writing plugins / Plugin APIs

Or other areas people feel worth discussing. This would definitely be hardcode C/C++ madness, focusing on developers and definitely not users. We would need to get an expert in each of these areas to hold each session. But before we sign Alan up for this, I wanted to see if there’s a general interest in this idea?

Cheers,

-- Leif

Re: [E] Re: [DISCUSS] ATS code study groups

Posted by Walt Karas <wk...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
The other option would be to write tutorials.  If it's easier to do talks,
hopefully they would be recorded.  We could scrape together money for a
tech writer and get written tutorials from the videos.

Posted by Evan Zelkowitz <ez...@apache.org>.

Posted by zzz <zz...@apache.org>.
FYI in case you don't know, @oknet hosted a great learning material -
atsinternals <https://github.com/oknet/atsinternals>, which can help to
understand ATS better. It can also help the session leader to prepare the
topic. The only complaint is only limited chapters were translated to
English.

Randy DuCharame <ra...@ad5gb.com.invalid> 于2021年2月3日周三 上午8:41写道:

Posted by Randy DuCharame <ra...@ad5gb.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Dan Tisdall <da...@gmail.com>.
I would love this! (I've been watching the project for a while but not
contributed anything yet)

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
I’ve started this Confluence page on the Wiki, where we can start rounding up the volunteers. I suggest that we have no sessions shorter then 1h, and no session longer then 3h, meaning, a Tutorial Day could have 1-3 sessions.

Cheers,

— Leif

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/ATS+Code+Tutorial+Sessions <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/ATS+Code+Tutorial+Sessions>

Posted by Damian Meden <da...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
I'm on board! totally interested. Count me in.

I also think,  as was already said,  having a video + tutorial would be
ideal!

Regards.
Damian

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dunkin <Ni...@vecima.com>.
This is an excellent idea. I have a whole team who could benefit.

Thanks

Nick

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Juncheng Yang <pe...@gmail.com>.