Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mourad Basrir <ba...@hotmail.com> on 2003/01/10 17:22:59 UTC

request for extra information

I have downloaded tomcat1.1.1 I read the Tomcat IIS HowTo..
but I don't understand the "Configuring the ISAPI Redirector"chapter.
Please I need some détails concerning the configuration of the ISAPI.Mainly:
"In the registry, create a new registry key named
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi
Redirector\1.0"
Add a string value with the name extension_uri and a value of
/jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll
Add a string value with the name log_file and a value pointing to where you
want your log file to be (for example d:\tomcat\isapi.log)
Add a string value with the name log_level and a value for your log level
(can be debug, inform, error or emerg).
Add a string value with the name worker_file and a value of
D:\tomcat\conf\workers.properties (you can copy this file from the CVS)
Add a string value with the name worker_mount_fileand a value of
D:\tomcat\conf\uriworkermap.properties (you can copy this file from the CVS)
"
Please whate do you mean by registry.
thank you in advance.
Please send me the reply to:basrirm@hotmail.com

Re: help - tomcat/dbcp deployment

Posted by Rasputin <ra...@idoru.mine.nu>.
* Paul Yunusov <py...@rogers.com> [0127 19:27]:
> On Sunday 12 January 2003 02:50 pm, David Durst wrote:
> > > Well, to get DBCP working was not difficult at all. I just followed
> > > Tomcat how-to docs. And, as I learned from other people, it's being used
> > > on a production level.
 >
> > I have been trying to get this damn thing working w/ postgres for about
> > a week now.

> > I got it working on 1 machine (MY DESKTOP) from a completely fresh install
> > of 4.1.18 w/ J2SDK 1.4.

> > I attempted to duplicate the enviroment on the development server, and I
> > think I have achieved duplication, BUT it still doesn't work.

> > It seems not not be able to find the JDBC driver, it thinks the
> > driverClassName I am passing through is NULL.

> Try putting the driver's jar file in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext

I put the j2ee jarfile for postgresql in $catalina_home/common/lib/,
that worked fine. Get the latest jar from jdbc.postgresql.org and try that.
If the OP still has trouble and wants to compare notes, post again - this was a
doddle with my setup.

I'm using PgSQL 7.2.3 ( upgrading to 7.3.1 as I type this),
tomcat 4.1.18 and suns 1.3.1 jdk. Only snag I had was using md5 passwords to
authenticate tomcat itself, I fixed that by using the 7.3 postgresql jarfile.

Re: help - tomcat/dbcp deployment

Posted by Paul Yunusov <py...@rogers.com>.
On Sunday 12 January 2003 02:50 pm, David Durst wrote:
> > Well, to get DBCP working was not difficult at all. I just followed
> > Tomcat how-to docs. And, as I learned from other people, it's being used
> > on a production level.
> >
> > My Tomcat's version is 4.1.12.
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Igor TN
>
> I have been trying to get this damn thing working w/ postgres for about
> a week now.
>
> I got it working on 1 machine (MY DESKTOP) from a completely fresh install
> of 4.1.18 w/ J2SDK 1.4.
>
> I attempted to duplicate the enviroment on the development server, and I
> think I have achieved duplication, BUT it still doesn't work.
>
> It seems not not be able to find the JDBC driver, it thinks the
> driverClassName I am passing through is NULL.

Try putting the driver's jar file in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext

Paul

Q: Dynamic database connection pooling?

Posted by David Boyer <da...@bvu.edu>.
Instead of predefining connections in either server.xml or another file
(such as using DBCP or DBPool), is it possible to have connection pools
created on-the-fly?

For example in IIS 5.0 under Windows 2000, database connections are
automatically pooled. When an ASP requests a database connection, IIS sees
if there's a connection pool that matches the connection string of the
current request. If there is, it checks for an unused connection in the pool
and either reuses it or (if needed) creates a new one. If no pool exists for
that connection string, IIS creates a pool and a new connection in the pool.

Is there an existing implementation for Tomcat that'll do this, or is it a
matter of writing my own connection manager?

Re: help - tomcat/dbcp deployment

Posted by David Durst <dd...@larubber.com>.

Posted by "Igor I. Tovstopyat-Nelip" <it...@euch4e.chem.emory.edu>.
Well, to get DBCP working was not difficult at all. I just followed Tomcat
how-to docs. And, as I learned from other people, it's being used on a
production level.

My Tomcat's version is 4.1.12.

Thank you.
Igor TN

> Hi,
>
> I developed a web-app consisting mostly of servlets and JSP, almost no
> static content. The application uses mysql and obtains connections from
> a dbcp connection pool.
>
> Now I'm deploying it for production on Linux (RedHat 7.2) in a tomcat
> standalone configuration. (Almost no static content, no cgi, no virtual
> hosts, no clustering, so I decided Apache httpd is not really needed.)
>
> It works pretty good for some time but ... The next morning the server
> is up and running but I can't obtain connection. When I'm trying to
> login into the app, the LoginServlet which is supposed to get a
> connection from the pool gives me an exception. Unfortunately, I can't
> show it here now, because I didn't copy it, and it will appear next time
> only tomorrow. But it reports something like Connection Failure, so it
> looks like a
> connection cannot be obtained from the pool.
>
> I'm quite positive that all my ResultSet's, Statement's and Connection's
> are closed in all appropriate places, and I'm also using
> 'removeAbandoned' in the server.xml descriptor.
>
> What can be the source of this problem?
>
> Also, immediately after my tomcat server is started, I lookup the
> running processes ( ps -ux ) and see that 25 JVM's is launched. Why so
> many? Is this normal? And what scares me is that all of those 25 JVM's
> are using 6% of memory each ( 25*6% > 100% ! ). At least this is what
> the ps command shows. Can anybody shed some light on this?
>
> Is DBCP good for production? I configured it exactly as the Tomcat docs
> instruct.
>
> I will appreciate any comments and advices.
>
> Thank you.

Wow! you actually got DBCP working!!!!
What version of tomcat are you using???

help - Tomcat/Linux deployment

Posted by "Igor I. Tovstopyat-Nelip" <it...@euch4e.chem.emory.edu>.
I was doing a development of the servlet/JSP web app on Windows and now
I'm deploying it on Linux RedHat7.2 for production. The software used is
Tomcat - MySQL - DBCP connection pool.

On Windows my app is running fine but I have the following problem on
Linux. The app runs stable all day long but next morning I can't login to
my app, the exception says: 'Connection Failure'.

Also, immediately after I start Tomcat on Linux I see a lot (26) of java
processes running. As I understand, they are Tomcat internal threads
launched as OS processes, because Linux JVMs (I tried both SUN's and
IBM's) use "green", not native threads.

Now, as the time goes by, the number of these threads/processes grows, and
when I try next morning to login, the server cannot create extra processes
needed to fulfill the client's request, because on Linux/UNIX the number
of user processes is limited.

Can anybody tell me if I understand this right, and what might be a
workaround?

Thank you.

Igor TN

Re: request for extra information

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Even I don't remember anything about tomcat1.1.1.  However, there are still
people on the dev list that consider it a swear word ;-).  It's got more
bugs than your basic rotten log.

Any of the current released versions of Tomcat have much easier IIS
integration.  Upgrade to 3.3.1/4.0.4/4.1.18 first and make your life much
easier.