Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch> on 2001/04/21 18:32:04 UTC

Fast builds?

Hello,

Here is a basic compile-build-deploy question for you.

Given that I am making changes to Tomcat code for experimentation purposes, I would like to shorten the compile-build-deploy cycle as much as possible.

Currently, after a code change, I call the command:

$TOMCAT_HOME > build.sh dist

This compiles all changed files, build jar files and puts them under $TOMCAT_HOME/dist. This is fine except that the "dist" target depends on "dist-javadoc" which is rather slow. So I have removed this dependency and all is nice and dandy.

However, this is surely not the way committers are doing it. So, which command do you invoke to build and then test Tomcat?

My guess is that committers are working under $TOMCAT_HOME/build when building/testing and ignoring $TOMCAT_HOME/dist. Am I correct?  TIA, Ceki

--
Ceki Gülcü

Re: Fast builds?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Ceki [iso-8859-1] G�lc� wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is a basic compile-build-deploy question for you.
>
> Given that I am making changes to Tomcat code for experimentation
> purposes, I would like to shorten the compile-build-deploy cycle as
> much as possible.
>
> Currently, after a code change, I call the command:
>
> $TOMCAT_HOME > build.sh dist
>
> This compiles all changed files, build jar files and puts them under
> $TOMCAT_HOME/dist. This is fine except that the "dist" target depends
> on "dist-javadoc" which is rather slow. So I have removed this
> dependency and all is nice and dandy.
>
> However, this is surely not the way committers are doing it. So, which
> command do you invoke to build and then test Tomcat?
>
> My guess is that committers are working under $TOMCAT_HOME/build when
> building/testing and ignoring $TOMCAT_HOME/dist. Am I correct?  TIA,
> Ceki

That's what I do.  The default target (deploy-main) of the top-level
build.xml file creates a runnable Tomcat in $TOMCAT_HOME/build, and that's
how I do my testing.  I only use the "dist" target when creating a binary
release.

> --
> Ceki G�lc�

Craig

Re: Fast builds?

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.
Hi again,

Never mind. The answer is

$TOMCAT_HOME > build.sh  [deploy-main]

and then working under build/. Thanks anyway. Ceki

--
Ceki Gülcü