Posted to commits@openoffice.apache.org by co...@apache.org on 2013/02/08 02:49:00 UTC

[CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > Project and Product Name

Space: Apache OpenOffice Community (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS)
Page: Project and Product Name (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+and+Product+Name)

Edited by Samer Mansour:
Apache OpenOffice, AOO, is the current product name as of version 3.4.1

h2. Apache OpenOffice product and project name decision & next steps

The PPMC approved Apache OpenOffice as the product and project name on November 17, 2011.\[1\]

h3. Next steps

* All PPMC members review ASF branding and trademark policies and guidelines.\[2\]
* Gain concensus from PPMC members to request the ASF register the name and trademark prior to graduation by sending request to trademarks@
* Create a brief one sentence description of the function of the product. Gain concensus of the PPMC and publish.
* Create logo and graphic for the new Apache OpenOffice brand. Gain concensus of the PPMC and publish.
* Ensure all project or product homepages feature prominent trademark attribution for the Apache OpenOffice mark. At the top of each project or product homepage, and on the top banner of each page where the project name appears, include a "TM" symbol next to the first main occurrence of the "Apache OpenOffice" project name.
* Create an ASF DOAP 'description of a project'. \[3\]

\[1\] [http://s.apache.org/O3P|http://s.apache.org/O3P]

{color:#000000}\[2\]{color}{color:#000000}* *{color}[http://s.apache.org/LfC|http://s.apache.org/LfC]

\[3\] [http://s.apache.org/yn|http://s.apache.org/yn]

h2. Choice of possible product names

The product naming of all software products that the ASF is hosting is "Apache Foo" where "Foo" is the part that we have to find. So the product name has to start with "Apache" and this is not changeable.

|| Proposed Name || Abbr. || Pros || Cons ||
| Apache OpenOffice.org | AOOo | We already have the trademark on "OpenOffice.org" \\
Continuity with the legacy name of 11 years \\
Makes it easy to remember URL for website | Too long - 8 syllables \\
The ".org" naming scheme was popular circa 2000, but now is dated |
| Apache OpenOffice | AOO | A short and convenient form respecting the form of the historic OpenOffice.org mark. Apache Branding confirms this is legally supported and without obstacle worldwide. | |
| Apache Open Office | AOO | Of the options mentioned, this has the largest number of hits. \\
This choice would be first in the list of "Open" TLPs (see list below). | The concatenated form follows the historic trademark, adding a space will create confusion and discontinuity |
| Apache Office | AO | | No recognition that this is a software product, could be also understood as an official instance of the Apache Foundation. \\
Could be a version of Microsoft Office. |
| Apache Office Suite | AOS | An accurate description of the product | |

h5. Position on [www.apache.org |http://projects.apache.org/indexes/alpha.html#N] project list

Here are the projects that start with N, O and P. Any of the above names would be put into this list in sorted order once the project is a TLP:

* Nutch
* ODE
* OODT
* OFBiz
* OpenEJB
* OpenJPA
* OpenWebBeans
* PDFBox
* Perl
* Pig

h2. Other aspects of branding

* URL/Domain name
* Logo (see "[http://ooo-site.apache.org/images/ooo-logo.png]")
* Splash Screen (see menu "Help - About")
* Copyright text (see menu "Help - About")
* Credits text (see menu Help - About" and \[Ctrl\]+\[S\]+\[D\]+\[T\])
* Application/component names
* Affiliate/supporter banners
* Social media

h2. Number of hits from famous websites for found name matches

[Google Trends (2011-01-01 until today) |http://www.google.com/trends?q=openoffice%2C+open+office%2C+openoffice.org&ctab=0&geo=all&date=ytd&sort=0] shows search hits for "openoffice.org", "openoffice" and "open office" in a big chart but also splitup to region, cities and Languages.

|| Name || Hits ||
|| Google hits || 2011-11-05 ||
| OpenOffice.org | 4,770,000 |
| OpenOffice | 41,900,000 |