Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/07/15 09:53:17 UTC

build a dist - which jdk?

Just noticed this post from Carsten pointing out some interesting things
about the impact of compiling on one version of the the JDK and running
under another.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102491687729497&w=2

The answer to Carsten's question concerning Avalon releases .. it's JDK
1.4 (at least the releases I've taken care of).

Steve.

RE: build a dist - which jdk?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> > Stephen McConnell wrote:
> >
> >>Just noticed this post from Carsten pointing out some interesting
> >>things about the impact of compiling on one version of the
> the JDK and
> >>running under another.
> >>
> >>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102491687729497&w=2
> >>
> >>The answer to Carsten's question concerning Avalon releases .. it's
> >>JDK
> >>1.4 (at least the releases I've taken care of).
> >>

> > Oh :) Is it possible to release from now on binaries
> compiled with JDK
> > 1.3?
>
> Do you mean to be compiled with the -source 1.3 so the
> binaries are 1.3 compatible, or do you mean running Magic on
> a 1.3 JDK?

I mean "compiling with a JDK 1.3" and not "compiling with a JDK 1.4
with target (or source) 1.3" :) So, if Magic is the one starting
the compilation, then yes, you have to start Magic with JDK 1.3.
Otherwise you may run exactly into the trap.

Carsten

Re: build a dist - which jdk?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>Just noticed this post from Carsten pointing out some
>>interesting things about the impact of compiling on one
>>version of the the JDK and running under another.
>>
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102491687729497&w=2
>>
>>The answer to Carsten's question concerning Avalon releases
>>.. it's JDK
>>1.4 (at least the releases I've taken care of).
>>

> Oh :) Is it possible to release from now on binaries compiled
> with JDK 1.3?

Do you mean to be compiled with the -source 1.3 so the binaries are 1.3
compatible, or do you mean running Magic on a 1.3 JDK?

                 - Rich Cook

RE: build a dist - which jdk?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Here we have a problem - Magic uses 1.4 classes. I think this
> is tied to the site transformation stuff.  In theory that
> could broken out of the core (which would be a pain but not
> impossible).
>
> Another approach would be to do an audit on the Avalon
> codebase for the usage of StringBuffer. Am I correct in
> assuming that this is specific to the StringBuffer.append(
> StringBuffer )?

This is specific to that method, but I absolutely don't know
if this is the only place where this problem could occur.
In theory, each class where Sun added a specialized method
could cause the same problem, so it's much safer to compile
with JDK 1.3 imho.

Carsten

Re: build a dist - which jdk?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.