Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org> on 2003/12/21 02:27:04 UTC

Re: Nightly builds to Maven repo Was: [maven] developer repository?

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 20:15, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Slightly similar topic, rather than wanting a repo I can access more
> easily [I already manage one for work and one for a smaller community
> [osjava.org]], I'd like to see the nightly builds of Jakarta Commons be
> deployed as SNAPSHOTs to the Maven/iBiblio repository.

Again, that could be fine in 10 seconds with a directory here somewhere,
then just build to that and change the commons project.properties files
accordingly to poke the apache repo first. Some could probably even port
the perl stuff for mirror finding to Java and we could incorporate that.

> Hen
>
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, __matthewHawthorne wrote:
>
> > I'm using Maven, but I frequently run into situations where a version of
> > a jar I need isn't on ibiblio.  For example, yesterday at work I needed
> > the postgres 7.4 jdbc driver, and also the new xdoclet 1.2, neither of
> > which are there yet.
> >
> > For just a single developer, it's as easy as copying the jar to my local
> > repository.  However, in a multi-developer, multi-site situation, it
> > becomes a bit harder.  I don't want to have to manually provide these
> > jars to my fellow developers.  For these newer jars, I'm thinking of
> > checking them into our version control system and using Maven's jar
> > override feature until they are uploaded onto ibiblio.
> >
> > Now, I've already filed requests for these files in the maven-upload
> > category in Jira as the Maven guys have suggested.  However, this
> > process seems to take some time.
> >
> > My idea is to create a developer repository somewhere on an
> > apache/jakarta machine, that any committer can write to.  You could put
> > a jar there, specify this url as a secondary repository, and be able to
> > work until the jar gets put on ibiblio.
> >
> > It's just a quick idea that I thought of, that may make things easier.
> > If I need a newer version of [betwixt] or [sql] or some other unreleased
> > component, I can build it myself and put it in this developer repository.
> >
> > I'm already doing something like this in my public_html directory, but
> > I thought that maybe some other developers would like to do the same
> > thing.   Think about it: after a commons component is released, how long
> > does it take to get up on ibiblio?  In my opinion, it should be
> > available in a remote repository, somewhere, as soon as it is released.
> >   For example, [primitives] and [dbutils] still aren't there, and were
> > released over a month ago.
> >
> > What do you think?  Is this a good idea or would it just create more
> > headaches?

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Nightly builds to Maven repo Was: [maven] developer repository?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org>.
Jason,

If it is just 10 seconds, then why haven't you set this up yet?

-g

--
gstein@apache.org ... ASF Chairman ... http://www.apache.org/