Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jon Evans <jo...@misgl.com> on 2004/02/19 14:31:25 UTC

Portal Engine bookmarks

Hi,

Please can someone explain bookmarks to me?  At the moment, some of the
links on my site (created with cl:links tag) do the following:

1) Switch the outer tab to index "0"
2) Switch the left nav bar "tab" to index "0"
3) Switch the page tab to index "1"
4) Send an app id parameter on coplet A
5) Send an app id parameter on coplet B

This results in the hyperlinks being very long, consisting of 5 lots of
cocoon-portal-action=x or cocoon-portal-event=y.

Is the bookmark facility something I need to look into?  It would be
great if I could code up a matcher so that I could create links like
this:

http://example.com/portal/view?appid=10

and it would maybe use the bookmarks facility to carry out all of the
steps 1-5 above and render the page.

Incidentally, instead of switching to tabs by their index number, is it
possible to use a symbolic id string?

Thanks,

Jon

Re: Portal Engine bookmarks

Posted by Jon Evans <jo...@misgl.com>.
Hi Laurent,

On 20 Feb 2004, at 14:05, Laurent Trillaud wrote:

>  You're great.
>  I'm so busy by my projects, that I haven't the time to write doc,
> neither
>  the docs of my projects.

Well, I need people like you to answer my questions first, so: you're
great too! :)

Thanks again,

Jon

RE: Portal Engine bookmarks

Posted by Laurent Trillaud <lt...@jouve.fr>.
Jon
You're great.
I'm so busy by my projects, that I haven't the time to write doc, neither
the docs of my projects.
Laurent

Re: Portal Engine bookmarks

Posted by Jon Evans <jo...@misgl.com>.
Hi Laurent,

RE: Portal Engine bookmarks

Posted by Laurent Trillaud <lt...@jouve.fr>.

Re: Portal Engine bookmarks

Posted by Jon Evans <jo...@misgl.com>.
Hi Laurent.,

On 20 Feb 2004, at 12:50, Laurent Trillaud wrote:

>  It's not the way I follow. I don't care about the length of the URL.
> Why are
>  you concern about that? Do you reach the http limit size?
>  Form the user, point of view, he see always the same url
>  http://MyServ/MyApp/portal and he see the name of the link, not the
> href.
>  In my opinion, the best way to make links in the portal is the
> cl:link. It's
>  straight forward.
>  Bookmarks are design to access to the portal by link hosted outside
> the
>  portal. For example, to put a link in an email.

Well, with the site I'm building, once you are logged in the front page
displays a list of icons which, when clicked on, take you to a search
page for that icon. Because the links have to switch 3 different
layouts to the correct tab, and pass a value to two different coplets,
the URLs generated for each app were big, and as the front page could
contain about 100 of these icons (depending on how the user has
configured it), that's a lot of data to send to the browser.

I've cut down my page weight by using an "app?id=123" form of link, and
the matcher redirects that to a bookmark URL, which then redirects it
to a portlet URL.  So, I've made the site quicker by reducing the page
weight, now I want to speed it up again by avoiding two extra round
trips for the browser.

Also it's aesthetically nicer to have a short URL.  Just look at
Linotype for example. :-)

Cheers,

Jon

RE: Portal Engine bookmarks

Posted by Laurent Trillaud <lt...@jouve.fr>.
Oops sorry for my previous mail, it was empty
Jon

Re: Portal Engine bookmarks

Posted by Jon Evans <jo...@misgl.com>.
Hi Laurent,

RE: Portal Engine bookmarks

Posted by Laurent Trillaud <lt...@jouve.fr>.
Jon
You can use portal bookmark, it's a shortcut for events.
Edit the .../portal/resources/bookmarks.xml for each event you need
and use the following URL
http://.../portal/bookmark?OutTab=0&LeftNav=0&PageTab=1&CopletA=123
Laurent Trillaud