Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Aneesha Govil <po...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/14 10:47:32 UTC

Tomahawk and JBoss

Hi all,

I was looking for information on JBoss Seam and posted a thread on the JBoss
Seam forum. I would like you to see [1]. I do not understand why they have
such an opinion. What are your thoughts on this?

Does anybody have any experience on using tomahawk on JBoss? Any
tips/pointers on whether anything might go wrong?

Thanks,
Aneesha

[1] http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3993759#3993759

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> Honestly, Tomahawk has many very good components, and now ICEfaces also plan
> to integrate them into ICEfaces program.
Hear, hear!

> Now that Trinidad is very mature,
> why cannot we integrate the Tomahawk into Trinidad?
I like this idea, though, unhappily it might not be that simple. I was
told that Trinidad uses a very "sophisticated", not "that easy
made-to-be-compatible" object hierarchy.
@matze: What are the chances of success for such a wish?

Ciao,
Mario

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss

Posted by Gus <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Honestly, Tomahawk has many very good components, and now ICEfaces also plan
to integrate them into ICEfaces program. Now that Trinidad is very mature,
why cannot we integrate the Tomahawk into Trinidad? One thing, it gives
users convenience for project setting and make Trinidad much powerful,
second we avoid the Tomahawk's conflict side with JBoss Seam. That is
personal opinions. Thank you.

Gus

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> I'd use NO jsp and tomahawk and trinidad

:-)

I wanted to say:
no jsp.
Only Facelets AND tom. and trin

-M

(perhaps we can add a [troll] to the subject now ?)

:-D

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Well...

nobody here enforces you to use all components.
Also nobody here enforces you to use RI or MyFaces
(there are also some known facts ...)

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@rhe.co.nz>.
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi!
>
> http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3993795#3993795
>
> I hope chances are we can work together a little better in the future!

The JBoss forum threads referenced in this email thread are all about
problems combining Tomahawk and Seam conversation-scope. That's not too
surprising, as Seam conversation scope:
(a) is not part of the JSF standard,
(c) didn't even exist when most Tomahawk components were created.

It seems reasonable to warn people that combining Tomahawk and Seam may
experience this problem, but it's not fair to say that Tomahawk is the
problem. And if people were to file JIRA issues then hopefully the
issues will get resolved over time.

The project I'm currently working on uses Tomahawk extensively (but not
Seam) and it's a great library.

Cheers,

Simon

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Thanks for the links.

> [1] http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=85212
> <http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=85212>
> [2] http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=89231
> <http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=89231>
I've answered them.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss

Posted by Aneesha Govil <po...@gmail.com>.
Well I found couple of issues with Seam-Tomahawk combination. Posting here
for future reference, if anyone is interested.

[1] http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=85212
[2] http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=89231

--Aneesha.

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 12/14/06, Aneesha Govil <po...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/14/06, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> > On 12/14/06, Aneesha Govil < popcorn09@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I was looking for information on JBoss Seam and posted a thread on the
> > > JBoss Seam forum. I would like you to see [1]. I do not understand why they
> > > have such an opinion. What are your thoughts on this?
> > >
> > > Does anybody have any experience on using tomahawk on JBoss? Any
> > > tips/pointers on whether anything might go wrong?
> >

> > Did you try what Gavin suggested ("search this forum") in the thread you
> > referenced?
> >
> > The Tomahawk implementors have made some decisions that I wouldn't
> > choose myself (example:  why should saving state be something that the *page
> > author* does with <t:saveState> instead of letting the application
> > developer, or the framework he/she is using, take careof it?), but the best
> > source of information on real problems would seem to be people who have
> > tried the combination and found issues.  It seems like there are more than a
> > few such threads in the JBoss Seam forum archives.
> >

> Craig
>

> Well, I did some research and what I could find was mostly configuration
> problems. People were trying to find out how to configure tomahawk but
> asking for help on the Seam forum instead of here. Gavin says they do not
> recommend using tomahawk, with or without Seam. So I suppose it is not an
> issue just with the combination but with tomahawk itself?

Knowing Gavin personally, it wouldn't surprise me if he had such opinions
(and, knowing him personally, he doesn't make statements like this without a
reason).  But I'm not in any way about to speak for him -- you'd be more
likely to get an answer to why he feels this way by asking someplace that he
will answer.  I doubt that the MyFaces user list is such a place.

Thanks,
> Aneesha

Craig

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss

Posted by Aneesha Govil <po...@gmail.com>.
On 12/14/06, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:

> Hi!
> >> Well I just wanted to know if anyone else had come across issues
> >> here. Sorry
> >> if it is off-topic.
> >
> > no, it's fine. I am now also interested in *deep* details.
> Yeah, me too.
>
> It would be better to help getting things better instead of ranting
> around.
> I am not aware that tomahawk do some strange things with the lifecycle,
> I am looking forward to learn ....
>
> Ciao,
> Mario

Exactly! And I don't want to put in a million frameworks, implement and just
to discover that one does not work with the other. It was a pain finalizing
tomahawk in the first place! Besides, in a normal project, we usually don't
have time to build-evaluate-throw-rebuild-reevaluate. I have already missed
a couple of deadlines! :-|

Aneesha

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> Well I just wanted to know if anyone else had come across issues here. Sorry
> if it is off-topic.

no, it's fine. I am now also interested in *deep* details.

thx,

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss

Posted by Aneesha Govil <po...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tomahawk and JBoss