Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Utkarsh Sengar <ut...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/30 01:16:26 UTC

Question about flume versioning in 1.3.1

Hello,

I am trying to use flume-1.3.1 off github:
https://github.com/apache/flume/tree/flume-1.3.1

On github, flume-1.3.1 branch's
pom.xml<https://github.com/apache/flume/blob/flume-1.3.1/pom.xml>says:
<version>1.3.0</version> but when I download flume 1.3.1 from
http://flume.apache.org/download.html the pom.xml says
<version>1.3.1</version>. So, what's going on?
Shouldn't both of the code should be the same version?

Also, when I build flume off the branch 1.3.1 via github, I get a dist
named: apache-flume-1.3.0-src.tar.gz

Am I missing something here? My assumption was, both the sources should be
identical.

-Utkarsh

Re: Question about flume versioning in 1.3.1

Posted by Connor Woodson <cw...@gmail.com>.
The way I usually go about extending Flume is to create a separate project
and include Flume as a dependency; from there, after packaging my code as a
.jar, it can be placed in a plugins.d/ directory as outlined
here<https://github.com/apache/flume/blob/trunk/flume-ng-doc/sphinx/FlumeUserGuide.rst#installing-third-party-plugins>.
This way you don't have to recompile the whole Flume project as you bug-fix.

Although, if you are looking to do more extensive modification of Flume,
then your approach is probably the best.

As to getting that dependency added to the lib folder: after it's added in
the parent's pom, is it referenced in any of the modules? If not, I don't
think maven will touch it, so add that dependency to wherever you are using
it. If it's not something needed for compiling, you can add the dependency
with a runtime scope (<scope>runtime</scope>) it whichever module uses it
and it should then still be included in the lib folder.

- Connor

Posted by Utkarsh Sengar <ut...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,