Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2011/11/29 17:06:39 UTC

Extensions and templates

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:

> [...]

Yes, that is the wrong end of the stick.  But it is an interesting
side of the stick as well, so I'll move it to its own thread, so we
can explore the options.

We currently have an extensions repository and a template repository,
kindly hosted by OSUOSL (http://osuosl.org/) on our subdomains:

extensions.services.openoffice.org

templates.services.openoffice.org

These repositories carry 3rd extensions and templates under a wide
variety of licenses, including a mix of open source licenses, copyleft
and non-copyleft, as well as non-open source licensed "freeware" and
"trial-ware" packages.  Because of these various licenses, I think it
is unlikely to be something that we could host at Apache, even in just
binary form.

So what are our options?

==Option 1: Remain at OSUOSL==

We could remain with OSUOSL hosting.  However, the existing site is
very unstable.  For this approach to be practical we'd need a
volunteer with Drupal skills to work with OSUOSL to diagnose what is
wrong and to restore stability to these services.  Maybe some sight
maintenance, upgrades or tuning is sufficient?

I think this would be the ideal short-term solution at the very least.

==Option 2: Move Critical extensions to stable host==

This is more a back up plan if nothing else works in the AOO 3.4
timeframe.  There are a handful of critical extensions that many users
will want access to, such as spell checking dictionaries.  If OSUOSL
is not stable when 3.4 is released, then we will have many thousands
of very frustrated users.  So with this option we copy the critical
extensions to Apache-Extras and point 3.4 users to that.

==Option 3: Clone OSUOSL repositories to another host==

In this option we rehost the existing repositories at another host.
So similar to Option 1, we would need a volunteer with Drupal
expertise.

==Option 4: Host repositories elsewhere, using new UI==

SourceForge, etc.  There are ways, for example, to create
meta-communities ("Neighborhoods") at SourceForge across projects.
Similar things can be done at Google Code or elsewhere.  Take
advantage of these forges rather than maintaining our own customized
app.

==Option 5: Re-architect the Repositories==

This is the option I personally favor for long term.  The downside of
what we have today is we have a single repository with a single host.
This is non-optimal for several reasons.  There are different needs
out there if we look at downstream consumers and/or enterprise users.
They may want to have a restricted or supplemental repository.  I may
want to make available to my users an interface that shows only
non-proprietary extensions, plus non copyleft templates plus my own
proprietary house templates.  Someone else might want to restrict
things differently.  Look at analogous things with Ubuntu component
repositories, with the ability to disable or enable proprietary
drivers and/or non-supported components.

In a new design we could start up front with a specification for a
data model for an extension, something expressed in simple XML, with a
query/fetch interface as a RESTful service.  This would allow multiple
repositories to look and behave identically from the data perspective.
 That then allows websites that aggregate such repository data, as
well as in-app browsers for extensions and templates.  Then you can
imagine AOO allowing a user or admin to enable any from a list of
several extension repositories to work with.

The other thing this approach does is separate the extension metadata
from the actual licensed extension.  If we wanted to have a canonical
repository of registered extensions, but without actually hosting or
storing the extensions, then that should be OK.  We're hosting URL's
to resources.  We're not distributing code.

(There might be some hybrid way of doing this as well, by using
SourceForge or similar for the underlying hosting, but then with tags
or a common extension.xml in the root of each repository, then
publishing data that we create our catalog from)

RE: Extensions and templates

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Fine, I bite, let me talk to Lance and see what the score is and I'll get back to you.

Gav...

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Rob,

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/29/11 5:06 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Gavin McDonald<ga...@16degrees.com.au>  wrote:

today we have one default repository but each extensions can carry it's
own update Url. That means in detail

- no update Url in the extension package, the default Url is used to
search for update information for this extension

- update Url in the package, this one is used to search for update
information.

Such an update Url can link to a simple xml file providing the
extensions meta data about available updates. This file can of course
provide information about more than one extension.

Based on this we can probably improve the whole extension management a
lot. And with some extra work we can provide a filtering and configuring
mechanism that you probably have in mind.

We should keep in mind that we do also some virus check (as far as i
know) for the extensions hosted on the OSUOSL repo.

Independent which way we prefer in the future, but we should ensure that
we have some control over the submitted extensions. I don't know how
exactly this can be ensured. I think about something like a review
process, or certifying. Simply to ensure that at least in an official
repo we don't have any malware.

Juergen

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

No clue, I wasn’t involved at that time.

> > I've had a look around
> > the drupal sites and it is not optimal to say the least.
>
> It would be helpful to know what level of access you obtained to make this
> assessment. Could you read the site code, or did you receive administrator
> credentials for the website, or did you get shell access to the machine?

Shell access to the machine, it is the code/files I'm talking about, rather than
the usage /admin of the site itself (at this stage).

> That the sites are not optimal is fairly obvious, especially considering that
> Extensions is a Drupal 5 site and thus creates sessions even for anonymous
> users; Drupal 7 is much better in this respect and offers more scalability out
> of the box and better integration with caching engines, so it seems a natural
> candidate for medium-term and long-term improvements ("Option 5").

Agree.

> >> Indeed, as you write, this would be an extreme option.
> > More extreme would be to do nothing, as you'll end up with nothing.
>
> Of course. What I meant to say was: cherry-picking "important"
> extensions and creating a repository for them from scratch is more or less
> the same work of Option 1 or 3  (i.e., fix the current site or a clone of it) for a
> much less interesting result.

> >> This is not significantly different from Option 1; i.e., if there are
> >> other hosting options available the mere cloning of the site would
> >> not take long, but again the problem is not with the site but with caching.
> > Do not blame caches for poor performance. the caches are improving a
> > bad situation
>
> OK, no matter what we think about the root cause for the current bad
> performance it seems that we both agree that cloning the site will give us the
> possibility to tweak it (or the environment) and improve performance. Since
> I've seen it working perfectly in 2010, I'm confident this is achievable.

cool

> >> As I used to say, everybody who thinks that the Extensions or
> >> Templates sites can be replaced easily has never tried submitting a
> template!
> >> Thorsten did a lot of customization work on the two sites; any
> >> replacement would provide a largely inferior user experience.
> > I think you don’t think very highly of other peoples abilities, a poor outlook.
>
> That was just a warning: people should know (and they would know, if they
> had ever uploaded a template...) that the sites extract and use a lot of
> information specific to OpenOffice.org and ODF files. This is often overlooked
> when people see these sites as "some form of file repositories" and propose
> to rely on different solutions: they should be aware that, to provide an
> optimal user experience for our use case, a significant amount of custom
> code must be added.

> OK, it seems we have agreement, at least at broad scope, that the long-term
> solution will be along the lines of Option 5 (i.e., encourage or enforce
> external hosting; allow for a scenario involving several different repositories).
>
> > here is the route I intend to take:
> > 1. Move the services to a newer more modern host at the ASF
> > (temporary) 2. BandAid the installation to stabilise it for the short
> > term (this is still more work than it sounds)
>
> So it seems we agree on these steps, and it's great (for planning Step
> 1) that you have access to information that is not available to me.

What info would you like access to?

> > 3. Stick Apache TrafficServer in front (not varnish) to improve response
> times / caching.
>
> I don't have enough knowledge on Apache TrafficServer to comment on this
> specific step.

Fairly new to me to, but we do have a whole projects worth of committers willing
to help :)

> > 4. Go with the choice of Option 5. that is, to allow the hosting and
> downloading of the templates
> >     and extensions to be with the 3rd party authors.
>
> It's already allowed; it is just not enforced. I mean, it already happens that
> some extensions form the Extensions site are downloaded from external
> sites like SourceForge.

Ok even better.

> > the status quo can not continue, for benefit of all.
> > Help welcomed at any step of the way.
>
> Just make sure to get permission to transfer and modify the site code from
> Oracle, or clarify that such a permission is not needed. I can't have any active
> involvement with this until this issue is solved, even though I completely
> share your desire to bring the sites back to normal operations as soon as
> possible.

Ok sure, not sure we need any permission at this stage but who shall we ask anyway,
Andrew?

(The site will continue to be served from the openoffice.org domain , which is now
ASF owned. I assume you means custom code.)

Gav...

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.
On 09/12/2011 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 12/9/11 1:06 AM, Gavin McDonald wrote:
>> I already have access and have been speaking with Lance over this over
>> the past week. It is in hand, as they say.

This is great.

> One to-do is definitely the upgrade to a newer Drupal version.

I completely agree, but I see this as a medium-term TODO, but not as the
first thing, since upgrading from a heavily customized Drupal 5 to
Drupal 7 is tedious and difficult and the most urgent issues are in
reachability and user handling.

For those who are not following the thread about legacy @openoffice.org
addresses: the Extensions site migration will need to be coordinated
with the strategy for @openoffice.org addresses, see
http://s.apache.org/l7
http://s.apache.org/vMW
and the discussion around them.

Regards,
   Andrea.

RE: Extensions and templates

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

sounds great, will create you an acct over the next few days.

> But i have little experience with hosting and deployment of stable, secure
> running web apps. I can only help here and need help of more experienced
> developers in this area.

No problem

Gav...

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Dec 8, 2011, at 4:35 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Gavin,
>
> On Dec 8, 2011, at 4:06 PM, Gavin McDonald wrote:
>
>> Dave,
>>
>> I already have access and have been speaking with Lance over this over the
>> past week.
>>
>> It is in hand, as they say.
>
> Yes! And we all appreciate this (or should!).
>
> Forums - check, MWiki - check, other wikis - check, Roller - check! You do a lot to support AOO, you have a track record. Thank you, Gavin!

I forgot to mention buildbot support!

Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Gavin,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.
Dave,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.
Gavin McDonald wrote:
> You should have read my reply to the above email first.
> Please do not bother Lance or OSUOSL with this again, I have access
> and I have it in hand.

I had read your reply of course, but having it "in hand" does not imply
you know all history, and I was interested in knowing what happened.
Anyway, I won't expect to receive answers from OSUOSL then, that's fine.

Regards,
   Andrea.

RE: Extensions and templates

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Will update on progress as it happens.

Gav...

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Andrea / Gavin,

On Dec 12, 2011, at 8:55 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

>>> I checked, got  a very clear 'no problem, no issues, please take it'
>>
>> I assume this is enough for us to start looking at the code, even though I would appreciate a public comment by Oracle about this.
>>
>> So you can count me in, my initial focus being on the following two issues:
>>
>> 1) On the existing site, find out what web services / servers in the openoffice.org infrastructure we depend on for authenticating users, and check that authentication can go on even if the main OOo site is migrated. This must be checked before the main OOo infrastructure is moved to Apache. Shell access (or access to the site code anyway) would be best.
>
> If authentication counts on a URL like openoffice.org then we can leave that IP behind at Oracle. http://openoffice.org already redirects to www.openoffice.org. It would be good to know because it effects DNS.
>
> But we could specify all 137 website subdomains individually, and leave *.oo.o and oo.o pointing as now.

Any thoughts about this idea? We really ought to proceed with the site migration pronto.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Thanks Andrea, will give you a shout when ready.

Gav...

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 10 December 2011 00:53, Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks Gav.

Ross

RE: Extensions and templates

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 12/8/11 10:07 AM, Gavin McDonald wrote:

> [...]

i don't know why you feel offended, at least it seems so. It's nothing
personal and I very much appreciate your work. And I hope others
appreciate my work (mainly on the code at the moment) as well.

> The overall bandwidth at OSUOSl is not in jeopardy but they are also not
> infinite, one must use them wisely.
>
> Please refrain from being negative.
i don't want to be too negative it's simply my personal impression and
observation (at least the performance).

Juergen

RE: Extensions and templates

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
Gavin,

I have been an ungrateful ass.  Please forgive me.

I completely failed to recognize your offer as the contribution that it is.

 - It is concrete and specific
 - It starts with the least that can possibly work
 - It takes us off the hook for having to deal with an emergency loss of the existing operation

Good plan.

Thanks. I see nothing that requires adjustment.

 - Dennis

RE: Extensions and templates

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.

>==Option 1: Remain at OSUOSL==
>
>We could remain with OSUOSL hosting.  However, the existing site is
>very unstable.  For this approach to be practical we'd need a
>volunteer with Drupal skills to work with OSUOSL to diagnose what is
>wrong and to restore stability to these services.  Maybe some sight
>maintenance, upgrades or tuning is sufficient?

+1
Drupal is better to manage multilingual UI