Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Vinicius Carvalho <vi...@auge.com.br> on 2004/10/25 13:13:45 UTC

request question

Hi there! This kinda off topic, but I'm confused with that. I have this
flow on my app:

User search  -> content display -> remove

Let me get in some finer details. The user enters a criteria to filter
the number of items displayed, on the next screen those items are shown
with a trash icon, representing the delete action. The user deletes an
item and then goes back to the screen with the items. The issue here, is
that I must preserve the criteria. I'd like to avoid to use session, is
there any better option? I mean, in my jsp I have access to the criteria
that was put in request, but how to propagate it to the delete action
and then to the jsp again?
request.setAttribute(request.getAttribute("criteria"),"criteria"); seems
pretty odd to me.

Thanks all

Viniucius

Vinicius

Re: request question

Posted by Jeff Beal <jb...@webmedx.com>.
If your trash-can button is using a link, you need to encode the request
parameters into the link when you generate the JSP page.  If your
trash-can button is submitting a form, you need to create <input
type='hidden'/> elements in your JSP page for each request parameter.

I would recommend the latter approach, because it's the only way you can
use the POST method to submit your request, and that's the recommended
approach for any operations that attempt to modify the data in the system.

-- Jeff