Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch> on 2001/09/03 14:23:17 UTC

Re: FOP PostScript renderer

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:25:33 +1000 Darren Munt wrote:
> I discovered the other day that FOP has a PostScript renderer. This is very
> handy because I am using psutils to do booklet PDF printing and it only
> works on PostScript 3 files.
>
> I had been using Ghostscript (pdf2ps) to convert PDFs output from FOP to
> PostScript. I then use pstops to reduce, rotate, 2-up and sort pages to
> produce booklet pages in a PostScript file and then use GhostScript to
> convert the PostScript file to a PDF. Although the resulting PDFs print
> fine, they look ugly on-screen. The files are much larger than the FOP
> version and they also take a long time to print. Based on the behaviour of
> the PDF viewer and my printer, I am guessing this is because Ghostscript has
> converted the original PDF into graphics instead of text. I get much better
> results when working with the PostScript files output by FOP.
>
> There is one problem, page-citations don't seem to work. The line
> <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="xref"/> should put the page number of the
> page on which a block with the attribute id="xref" first appears. In the
> output from FOP -ps I get a ? instead.
>
> I haven't seen much talk on this mailing list about the PostScript renderer,
> so I'm not sure where it sits on the FOP radar scope. Is this a known issue
> and is there any likelihood it will be fixed in the near future?

Hi Darren

The PostScript renderer is still in its early stages. There are a lot of
important features missing. I think not many people use it, yet. I'll
try to find a fix for your problem this week.

PS: Sorry for the late response. I've been on holidays.

Jeremias Märki (who is happy somebody actually uses the PS renderer)

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 (41) 317 2020 - Fax +41 (41) 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch