Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/09 01:07:34 UTC

Re: [m2] Wagon fails with HTTP destination

Webdav is supported now? since when? I was really waiting for that! thank!

On 1/25/06, Matthew L Daniel <md...@scdi.com> wrote:
> > It seems nobody has ever tried http.
>
> That's certainly not true, but you are right that WebDAV support has
> been very quiet on these lists.
>
> I found the instructions here to be useful:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1580
>
>   -- /v\atthew

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: [m2] Wagon fails with HTTP destination

Posted by Th...@putnam.com.

> One assumes your Location is <Location "/m2-repo">, right?

yes,  here's what I added to httpd.conf

Alias /m2-repo /absolute/path/to/.m2/repository
DavLockDB /absolute/path/to/var/DavLock
<Location /m2-repo>
        DAV On
</Location>

> Can you navigate to .../m2-repo and have it return content to your web
> browser? How about if you try and connect with cadaver or (egad)
> Microsoft Web Folders?

yes on both counts. I can bring up the repo with
http://server:port/m2-repo in a browser
and on xp I set up a webfolder and I can browse the contents in an explorer
window.

Having said all this, I'm giving up on webdav as a deploy protocol.  I'm
now trying to
get ftp to work.  That will be another thread since I'm having no luck
there as well.

I've googled and gone back over the user list and I'm not sure exactly what
deploy method
is working on a consistent basis.

Thanks again for your help.
Tom

Matthew L Daniel <md...@scdi.com> wrote on 02/13/2006 04:36:53 PM:

> > was also defined as an alias  in httpd.conf  like
> >                   alias  /m2-repo  /absolute/path/to/our/repository
> > and I defined a <location> element without any auth elements, just DAV
On

> > Depending on the url in the pom, I'm getting an authorization error
(url of
> > http://server:port/m2-repo)
>
> This is a question for the httpd list, but I'll do what I can here.
>
> One assumes your Location is <Location "/m2-repo">, right?
>
> Can you navigate to .../m2-repo and have it return content to your web
> browser? How about if you try and connect with cadaver or (egad)
> Microsoft Web Folders?
>
> Based on your other post, it sounds like your URL is mangled.
> Authentication information, if such is required, should be provided in
> ${user.home}/.m2/settings.xml. Now whether wagon honors that or not is
> an entirely separate question.
>
>   -- /v\atthew

This message is intended for the recipient only and is not meant to be forwarded or distributed in any other format. This communication is for informational purposes only.  It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument, or security, or as an official confirmation of any transaction.  Putnam does not accept purchase or redemptions of securities, instructions, or authorizations that are sent via e-mail.   All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice.  Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of Putnam, LLC (DBA Putnam Investments) and its subsidiaries and affiliates.  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please delete the e-mail.

Re: [m2] Wagon fails with HTTP destination

Posted by Matthew L Daniel <md...@scdi.com>.
> was also defined as an alias  in httpd.conf  like
>                   alias  /m2-repo  /absolute/path/to/our/repository
> and I defined a <location> element without any auth elements, just DAV On
>
> Depending on the url in the pom, I'm getting an authorization error (url of
> http://server:port/m2-repo)

This is a question for the httpd list, but I'll do what I can here.

One assumes your Location is <Location "/m2-repo">, right?

Can you navigate to .../m2-repo and have it return content to your web
browser? How about if you try and connect with cadaver or (egad)
Microsoft Web Folders?

Based on your other post, it sounds like your URL is mangled.
Authentication information, if such is required, should be provided in
${user.home}/.m2/settings.xml. Now whether wagon honors that or not is
an entirely separate question.

  -- /v\atthew

Re: [m2] Wagon fails with HTTP destination

Posted by Th...@putnam.com.

Mathew, thanks for the steps.  I followed them in our site but  still
couldn't use webdav to deploy
a project jar to our internal  repository.

I followed your notes about handling the jars in M2_HOME\lib

On our repo server, I did MKDIR for all the parent folders
(groupId/artifactId/version)

in my pom, I have the extension for wagon-http, and the http url I used
was also defined as an alias  in httpd.conf  like
                  alias  /m2-repo  /absolute/path/to/our/repository
and I defined a <location> element without any auth elements, just DAV On

Depending on the url in the pom, I'm getting an authorization error (url of
http://server:port/m2-repo)

or an error code of 405  (url of
http://server:port/absolute/path/to/repository)

can you shed any light what you may have used to configure  httpd.conf or
any other
webdav-related configuration issues?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Tom

             Matthew L Daniel
             <mdaniel@scdi.com
                                       Maven Users List
             02/09/2006 01:14          <us...@maven.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: [m2] Wagon fails with HTTP
               "Maven Users            destination
                   List"
             <users@maven.apac
                  he.org>

> > I found the instructions here to be useful:
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1580

> Webdav is supported now? since when? I was really waiting for that!
thank!

Like I said, Maven hates us who don't want to futz with scp or ftp, but
we are smarter than it is!

The following was tested mere moments ago against a freshly downloaded
copy of maven-2.0.2 and some liberal use of the "-U" and "-X" switches.
Full disclosure: I'm not using authentication for WebDAV here, because I
trust the other 22 people I work with. YMMV.

The largest thing is to inject the necessary dependencies into
$M2_HOME/lib, while stripping out wagon-http-lightweight-1.0-alpha-6.jar

I kept chasing ClassNotFounds until it worked with the following:
commons-codec-1.3.jar
commons-httpclient-3.0.jar
commons-logging-1.0.3.jar
wagon-http-1.0-alpha-6.jar

(which I downloaded via wget from ibiblio, just so we're clear)

The 2nd largest "gotcha" is that wagon-http doesn't see it necessary to
MKCOL on all the parent directories before it tries to upload an
artifact. You can use cadaver (or your favorite WebDAV client) to help
it along there.

Now for the mundane parts.

You must declare an "http" <url> in your <distributionManagement> and
include:
<build>
    <extensions>
        <extension>
            <groupId>org.apache.maven.wagon</groupId>
            <artifactId>wagon-http</artifactId>
            <version>1.0-alpha-6</version>
        </extension>
    </extensions>
</build>

Also, be careful of http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-734 as that bit
me for the LONGEST time. I had a <snapshotRepository> without having
"-SNAPSHOT" in my <version>. Totally my fault, but the error message was
HORRIBLE. I appended "-SNAPSHOT" and all was well with the world.

  HTH all three of the WebDAV users on this list,

Posted by Matthew L Daniel <md...@scdi.com>.