Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz> on 2011/11/22 15:08:35 UTC

[VOTE] Apache CouchDB new docs proposal

Hi devs,

Over the last two years we've discussed improving our documentation, website,
and wiki. We have discussed several designs ad mortem[1]…[5], and while the
wiki has evolved substantially, not much else has changed.

This proposal summarises a consensus direction, and puts forward an approach
that should allow us to improve docs in incremental stages with the usual
peer review process for the actual patches/changes.

NB this is readable as markdown on https://gist.github.com/gists/1385728

# Apache CouchDB Docs Spruce-Up

CouchDB's documentation (wiki, API docs, and website) reflects its rapid
evolution. We need a spruce up!

The plan is:

- nominate a PMC owner (nslater)
- update the website (dch)
- tidy up the wiki (anybody?)
- implement docbook for APIs etc

## Update the CouchDB.org[0] website

"The design is less important than the content." J Chris Anderson

Previous work has stopped at the design stage, rather than getting the content.

### Phase 1
- select one of the previously worked designs[0]..[5] and migrate current
    content into it

### Phase 2

- review all pages and update as needed
- make it easy to navigate to key content (even if not in same site)
    - overview, use case & philosophy
    - source, roadmap
    - API docs, wiki
    - mailing lists/archives
    - community contributions incl tools & tutorials, blogs, stories, binaries
    - links to hosting & commercial support

### Phase 3
- check if any of the commercial vendors would be willing to fund a designer

## Tidy up the wiki
- add a page which lists all pages
- ask people to own reviewing each page
- get writing/restructuring/pruning

## Implement DocBook
- jan to clarify what's available from CouchBase
- nslater to look at implementing this, or failing that something else
- ask community for ideas for overall chapter structure
- get an owner for each chapter + solicit contributions from community
- get writing ...
- develop guidelines a la existing Release Procedure for doc contributions
    to patches, releases, and commits

I would like to call a vote[6],[7] for the above proposal. Feel free to
read the existing emails on this subject [8][9][10].

We encourage the whole community to review and give feedback -- everyone is
free to vote on this proposal, so get stuck in!

Happy voting,
Dave Cottlehuber
https://github.com/dch

"Can we just commit this and work on any remaining details that
someone wants to put in effort to fix?"

"I think a big part of Rails' early success was the website:
http://rubyonrails.org/"

"The design is less important than the content."

"Having all the blog posts, wikis, videos, case-studies, IRC logs,
screen-casts, etc. available in a an easy-to-digest website, will make
no-hassle for newcomers, which is the most important thing."

"make it easy for new arrivals to find just what they need to know about
CouchDB, while at the same time giving them a taste of the "Relax" feeling."

## references

- current  [0]:  http://www.couchdb.org/
- classic  [1]:
http://people.apache.org/~jan/couchdb.org.new/couch-classic/htdocs/
- minimal  [2]:
http://people.apache.org/~jan/couchdb.org.new/couch-site/htdocs/
- kriesse  [3]:  https://github.com/Kriesse/couchdb_web or view at
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq0bd9w7ufb0a3b/CouchDB/tmp/new_websites/kriesse/index.html
- eegg     [4]:  https://github.com/eegg/couchdb_web or view at
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq0bd9w7ufb0a3b/CouchDB/tmp/new_websites/eegg/index.html
- lean     [5]:  http://jan.prima.de/couchdb_web/

- voting:  [6]:  http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
- release: [7]:  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Release_procedure

- website  [8]:  http://bit.ly/rTt0kV
- wiki     [9]:  http://bit.ly/vJDITc
- docs     [10]: http://bit.ly/ufasCB

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB new docs proposal

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 23 November 2011 09:10, Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1
>
> Regarding the wiki cleanup efforts, I've already volunteered to
> organize some wiki sprints. I will start doing so over the next week
> or two.

Awesome Randall!

We had a bit of a bash earlier this week too - thanks Jan & Robert and
any others who dug into this. I hear rumours of a regular Wiki Friday
on IRC - this would be a great step forwards.

I'm happy to help on this also.

A+
Dave

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB new docs proposal

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Sure.

Well, I'd like to link to the docs from the website. And some amount of
basic typesetting would be nice. HTML is the bare minimum if we want text
(obviously) and hyperlinks. I think hyperlinks would be useful. Even if
it's only so we can use anchors.

If you look at the source of the CouchDB book, we could strip HTML down to
its barest elements. The "administrative debris" like navigation, style,
etc can be added with a single common JavaScript file and a single common
CSS file.

If we want to move forward with this, I am happy to drive the effort.

Our first steps should be:

   - Get some plain text only documentation together from the committers

   - Speak to Infra about how to host the documentation

If someone can co-ordinate the first point, I can take this stuff and shape
it in to some basic HTML for us to use.

I can take care of the second item.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.

On Nov 26, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:

> On 26 November 2011 14:25, Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com> wrote:
>> +1 for Latex
>
> Hi Robert, all,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read all that!
>
> Specific design & tools aside, are you willing to support at least the
> principle of upgrading/improvement of the documentation?

Yes of course, I'm not fundamentally opposed to any technology. I was only seconding the suggestion of the use of LaTEX as I find it superior to docbook in every way. It seems to me that if we want
the programmers to contribute a lot of this content then something like Markdown, Org, or even just plain text would be the easiest

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
+1 for Latex

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kristina Schneider <ma...@kristinaschneider.com>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 26 November 2011 05:43, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> These two projects are orthogonal to each other:
>
> Project 1: Getting code/API docs bundled in the source distribution.
>
> Project 2: Getting a new website design in place.
>
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 1:36 AM, Marco Monteiro <ma...@textovirtual.com>wrote:
>
>> Can the first step be to get the docbook api documentation in the repo and
>> start from that? Any plan that delays that step is not as good.

Agreed, and I'm very keen to treat them as such. Perhaps phases is not
the best word in hindsight.

A+
Dave

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB new docs proposal

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Marco Monteiro <ma...@textovirtual.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Cool.

For now then, I'd say we wait for an update from Couchbase before moving
forward.

If people want to jot down their ideas on the wiki page I created, I think
that would be productive.

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/SourceDocumentation

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marco Monteiro <ma...@textovirtual.com>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Noah: That one is on Jan.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Fair enough.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <jo...@atypical.net>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Cool idea.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dale Harvey <da...@arandomurl.com>.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
[...]

The only problem being how links work. Relative links wont work properly,
because the filename is passed in as a query string parameter. Is there any
way around this that doesn't involve a proxy and a bit of mod_rewrite?

As for the use-case, this is an important question.

Is it important that this stuff be included in the source? There are two
reasons why this might be the case. Firstly, it allows people with only the
source (and no net connection) to read the documentation. It's not the
1980s anymore, so this doesn't really seem too important. Secondly, it lets
us enforce a policy of updating the docs as you update the features. This
one seems very important.

Is it important for this stuff to exist in multiple formats, or is HTML
just fine? If we used a document toolchain like DocBook or LaTeX, we get a
bunch of nice output options for PS, and PostScript, and Ghostscript, etc.
But seriously, who reads documentation like that anymore? Again, it's not
the 1980s anymore. I think that HTML is just fine. If you want a PDF, your
browser can do that.

And to this end (and if you're called Jan or J. Chris, you've already
pre-emptied me) I suggest we write our documentation in HTML. No toolchain,
no conversion, no transformation, no XML nonsense, no fuss. Just straight
up, simple, HTML.

We did this for the CouchDB book, and it works just fine:

https://github.com/oreilly/couchdb-guide/tree/gh-pages/draft

https://github.com/oreilly/couchdb-guide/blob/gh-pages/draft/why.html

If you find that hard to edit, then god help you, no amount
of intermediary format is going to help! ;)

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 23 November 2011 09:30, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> NB this is readable as markdown on https://gist.github.com/gists/1385728
>
> +1 for the idea.

Thanks for your support Benoit.

> I think we alreadt discussed about it but I see a lot of people going to
> rest in place of docbook. But I will rely on someone else to do the choice.

I assume this is a +0 form you in regard to the actual tool.

> 3 & 4 return 404 ;) . I'm -1 in all other layout. They aren't enough punchy
> imo.

Now that I've fixed 3 and 4, any additional thoughts?

kriesse [3]: https://github.com/Kriesse/couchdb_web or view at
http://skunkwerks.iriscouch.com/couchdocs/_design/couchdocs/kriesse_couch_web/index.html

eegg [4]: https://github.com/eegg/couchdb_web or view at
http://skunkwerks.iriscouch.com/couchdocs/_design/couchdocs/eegg_couch_web/index.html

> - benoît

A+
Dave

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB new docs proposal

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 03:33, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>wrote:
>>

>>> 3 & 4 return 404 ;) . I'm -1 in all other layout. They aren't enough
>> punchy imo.
>>

>> s/other layout/others layouts
>
> the design too but it's a matter of taste in this case. I'm
> more interested by the layout . I like the cassandra layout for example :
>
> http://cassandra.apache.org/
>
> top menu i simple. and quickly introduce to main concepts.
>
> - benoît

Yes. It is decent. Action to download on the right is clear and pulls
the eye. I don't like the tabs, though (Welcome, Video, Slides).
Moving parts are less accessible, maybe.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB new docs proposal

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> read the existing emails on this subject [8][9][10].
>
> We encourage the whole community to review and give feedback -- everyone is
> free to vote on this proposal, so get stuck in!
>
> Happy voting,
> Dave Cottlehuber
> https://github.com/dch
>
> "Can we just commit this and work on any remaining details that
> someone wants to put in effort to fix?"
>
> "I think a big part of Rails' early success was the website:
> http://rubyonrails.org/"
>
> "The design is less important than the content."
>
> "Having all the blog posts, wikis, videos, case-studies, IRC logs,
> screen-casts, etc. available in a an easy-to-digest website, will make
> no-hassle for newcomers, which is the most important thing."
>
> "make it easy for new arrivals to find just what they need to know about
> CouchDB, while at the same time giving them a taste of the "Relax"

+1 for the idea.