Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sean Son <li...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/17 15:03:55 UTC

Need help with URL redirecting

Hello all

I am new to the list. This is what i am trying to do but need help on:

I have a webapp running on tomcat 8:  https://myapp.example.com:8443/myapp

I am going to set up a DNS record myapp.example.com which will point to the
IP address of the tomcat server that hosts the webapp.. I want this new DNS
record myapp.example.com to redirect to https://myapp.example.com:8443/myapp.
In other words, I want the URL to redirect port 80 to the URL for the
webapp automatically so the users will not have to enter in the port number
whenever they want to browse to the webapp. I tried doing research on
google and I was not able to find a straight forward way of doing this. Any
help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Sean

Re: Need help with URL redirecting

Posted by Edwin Quijada <li...@hotmail.com>.
Maybe this can help you

http://antoine.hordez.fr/2012/12/29/howto-tomcat7-apache2-mod_proxy_ajp-on-centos-rhel-6/

HOWTO : Tomcat 7 + Apache 2 + mod_proxy_ajp on CentOS ...<http://antoine.hordez.fr/2012/12/29/howto-tomcat7-apache2-mod_proxy_ajp-on-centos-rhel-6/>
antoine.hordez.fr
Try http://www.mybestapp.com/ in your browser : You can access tomcat through Apache on port 80. Create a virtual host for static content in Apache

________________________________

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

>>> 2016 12:42 PM To: Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>;
>>> aw@ice-sa.com Subject: Re: Need help with URL redirecting

>>> Thank you for the tidbit about how to reply :) So I used number
>>> 17 from the website and i deployed the war file as the ROOT.war
>>> file.  What should the next steps be?
>>>

>>> I thank you again for all of your help!
>>>

>> Thank you Steve for the suggestion. Will this work with out using a
>> reverse proxy? My management told me not to use a reverse proxy
>
> Yes, you can do this without a reverse proxy, but removing the port
> number can be a bit of an issue, which is why a reverse proxy is
> sometimes recommended: it's just easier that way -- especially if
> another web server is already available for that purpose.
>
> For more help, you'll have to give us more information about your
> environment: OS, other services already available on the network, etc.
> For example, if an appropriate reverse proxy is already available,
> then you can point your DNS record to that proxy, and use a virtual
> host for that domain name. Then, proxy everything to your Tomcat instanc
> e.

Actually, I was thinking of using Tomcat only, and configuring 2 <Host> :
- one to listen on port 80, with a single and simple default app which sends back a
"permanent redirect" to the other Host
- one to listen on the HTTPS port, with the real application
(or if not possible with 2 Hosts, then 2 separate Tomcat instances).
But yes, it would be simpler with a reverse proxy in front.

Re: Need help with URL redirecting

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Sean,

On 6/20/16 2:26 PM, Sean Son wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Mekkelsen Madden, Steve <
> Steve.MekkelsenMadden@pega.com> wrote:
>
>> One thing you could do is have an entry in your webapps\ROOT
>> folder called like: MyAppRedirect.html  (name can be anything)
>> Inside the file you need something like: <META
>> HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0; URL=../myApp/connection ">
>>
>> In your conf\web.xml at the bottom of it, you'll see 3 lines
>> shown below: <welcome-file-list>
>> <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
>> <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
>> <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file> </welcome-file-list>
>>
>> Change this to point to your MyAppRedirect.html page.
>> <welcome-file-list>
>> <welcome-file>MyAppRedirect.html</welcome-file>
>> </welcome-file-list>
>>
>> That's a simple way to redirect your application.  Your DNS /
>> reverse proxy could take care of the port # and users only need
>> to call your application by name
>> (https://callMyApplication.domain.com) when the DNS/reverse proxy
>> redirects it to the server's port say 8088, the html file appends
>> the remaining portion of the url to what the users typed.
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Sean Son
>> 2016 12:42 PM To: Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>;
>> aw@ice-sa.com Subject: Re: Need help with URL redirecting
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Andr� Warnier (tomcat)
>> <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. Another tip : on his list,mit is preferred if you respond
>>> in or below the previous text. That's why I moved your previous
>>> answer. It makes it easier to follow the conversation without
>>> having to scroll back and forth all the time.

>>> Yes, I think that it will make the rest easier. So do that, as
>>> per the instructions above, and then we will continue.

>> Thank you for the tidbit about how to reply :) So I used number
>> 17 from the website and i deployed the war file as the ROOT.war
>> file.  What should the next steps be?
>>

>> I thank you again for all of your help!
>>

> Thank you Steve for the suggestion. Will this work with out using a
> reverse proxy? My management told me not to use a reverse proxy

Yes, you can do this without a reverse proxy, but removing the port
number can be a bit of an issue, which is why a reverse proxy is
sometimes recommended: it's just easier that way -- especially if
another web server is already available for that purpose.

For more help, you'll have to give us more information about your
environment: OS, other services already available on the network, etc.
For example, if an appropriate reverse proxy is already available,
then you can point your DNS record to that proxy, and use a virtual
host for that domain name. Then, proxy everything to your Tomcat instanc
e.

- -chris

Re: Need help with URL redirecting

Posted by Sean Son <li...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Mekkelsen Madden, Steve <
Steve.MekkelsenMadden@pega.com> wrote:

> One thing you could do is have an entry in your webapps\ROOT folder called
> like: MyAppRedirect.html  (name can be anything)
> Inside the file you need something like:
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0; URL=../myApp/connection ">
>
> In your conf\web.xml at the bottom of it, you'll see 3 lines shown below:
>     <welcome-file-list>
>         <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
>         <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
>         <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
>     </welcome-file-list>
>
> Change this to point to your MyAppRedirect.html page.
>     <welcome-file-list>
>         <welcome-file>MyAppRedirect.html</welcome-file>
>     </welcome-file-list>
>
> That's a simple way to redirect your application.  Your DNS / reverse
> proxy could take care of the port # and users only need to call your
> application by name (https://callMyApplication.domain.com) when the
> DNS/reverse proxy redirects it to the server's port say 8088, the html file
> appends the remaining portion of the url to what the users typed.

Thanks

RE: Need help with URL redirecting

Posted by Sean Son <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.