Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by gianny DAMOUR <gi...@hotmail.com> on 2003/10/14 15:26:32 UTC

web module packaging + ClassSpace

Hello,

I was playing around with ApplicationDeployer in order to "merge" JSR077 and
JSR088 and I will need to do the following changes:

- split the web generic classes and the Jetty specific ones into two
distinct jars, say geronimo-web-jetty-DEV.jar and geronimo-web-DEV.jar; and
- enhance ClassSpace in order to support a parent ClassSpace. For instance,

    <class-space name="geronimo.system:role=ClassSpace,name=Jetty">
        <codebase url="file:lib/">
            <archive name="*"/>
        </codebase>
        <parent name="geronimo.system:role=ClassSpace,name=System"/>
    </class-space>

means that the parent ClassSpace of
geronimo.system:role=ClassSpace,name=Jetty is
geronimo.system:role=ClassSpace,name=System.

(I already talked about this update, yet I have never submitted a patch as
it was not crucial at this moment).

Any concern?

Moreover, there was a thread regarding deployments of J2EE modules.
Different ideas have been proposed and a sample code - for a base-class
implementation - has been submitted in JIRA (GERONIMO-102). Did anyone have
a look to this sample code?

As a summary, the idea was to define a meta-data repository MBean for each
J2EE module deployment. In the context of JSR088, I would like to make this
meta-data repository a TargetModuleID. Registration of such MBeans are
listened by ApplicationDeployer, which tracks this way the auto-deployed
J2EE modules.

Gianny

http://search.msn.fr

Re: web module packaging + ClassSpace

Posted by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com>.
gianny DAMOUR wrote:
> I was playing around with ApplicationDeployer in order to "merge" JSR077
> and JSR088 and I will need to do the following changes:
>
> - split the web generic classes and the Jetty specific ones into two
> distinct jars, say geronimo-web-jetty-DEV.jar and geronimo-web-DEV.jar;
I don't have any problem with splitting the web classes into standard
geronimo and jetty specific.

> and
> - enhance ClassSpace in order to support a parent ClassSpace.
I don't see how this is related?

> For instance,
>
>    <class-space name="geronimo.system:role=ClassSpace,name=Jetty">
>        <codebase url="file:lib/">
>            <archive name="*"/>
>        </codebase>
>        <parent name="geronimo.system:role=ClassSpace,name=System"/>
>    </class-space>
>
> means that the parent ClassSpace of
> geronimo.system:role=ClassSpace,name=Jetty is
> geronimo.system:role=ClassSpace,name=System.
>
> (I already talked about this update, yet I have never submitted a patch
> as it was not crucial at this moment).
>
> Any concern?

I think Dain was talking about some general changes to the ClassSpace
mechanism, so it would be worthwile getting his input on this one.

What is the classpace geronimo.system:role=ClassSpace,name=System? Right
now, all ClassSpaces will already have a parent set, which will either
be the thread context classloader or the classloader that loaded the
ClassSpace class.

> Moreover, there was a thread regarding deployments of J2EE modules.
> Different ideas have been proposed and a sample code - for a base-class
> implementation - has been submitted in JIRA (GERONIMO-102). Did anyone
> have a look to this sample code?

I have to apologize - I got as far as finding the JIRA issue, then got
distracted before I could sit down and really pay attention to reading
it. I promise that I will do it within the next 2 days and come back to
you with my comments.

> As a summary, the idea was to define a meta-data repository MBean for
> each J2EE module deployment. In the context of JSR088, I would like to
> make this meta-data repository a TargetModuleID. Registration of such
> MBeans are listened by ApplicationDeployer, which tracks this way the
> auto-deployed J2EE modules.

cheers,
Jan