Posted to discuss@apachecon.com by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2005/07/22 17:46:13 UTC

Plenary Feedback

ApacheCon folks,

For several years now, I've generally felt like not attending the closing
plenary. One of the primary reasons is the "open mic" kinds of questions
to the audience. When you have several hundred people in a room, throwing
out questions like "where would you like to see ApacheCon be held?" is not
going to get any reasonable feedback. Stuff like that is better held via
email or survey forms. When you have hundreds of people in a room, it is
usually a waste of people's time to sit there listening to an
unstructured, open-ended Q&A or discussion. It can be very boring, so I
just sit around with a laptop. Fitz feels much the same about the closing
plenary (and reviewed this email), and said that he just napped.

Can the plenary be more about final announcements and less unstructured
discussion?

Cheers,
-Greg and Fitz

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Plenary Feedback

Posted by Delfim Machado <db...@profundos.org>.

Re: Plenary Feedback

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
> I love the idea that we approach the Plenary as a way of closing the
> circle - sending everyone home with a sense of completion and dare we
> say pride in what was accomplished.
>
> It might sound a bit much but in this day of digital instant imaging.
> couldn't we - not say we would be the first - have a short visual
> presentation of the highlights of the event. Not a long piece but just
> a few minutes as maybe we do the audio thank you and acknowledgments.
> Not sure how this might evolve but everyone is taking pictures so I
> would think we could pull this together fairly easily. But that is
> just one thought and I am not attached to it.
>
> But as someone who is attached to ceremonial art and work the energy
> flow of an event is critical an this piece is literally one of the two
> bookends that holds apachecon together.

As it happens, we did that at AC EU. Sort of. We played a Flickr.com
slideshow of a hundred or so photos taken during the conference. It's a
start, anyway.

Re: Plenary Feedback

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Just to chime in from the US...

That's a neat idea.   Doc Searls did this last year at the closing keynote
(lots of just-in-time photos of the conference site under construction) and
the audience loved it.  I agree, it helped provide some emotional connection
and closure.

WILL

Posted by charel morris <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 7/25/05, Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net> wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2005, at 8:46 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
>
> > Can the plenary be more about final announcements and less
> > unstructured
> > discussion?
>
> +1
>
> I like the idea of tying the conference together with a closing
> plenary, rather than just have it peter out when folks decide to go
> home. However, I fully agree with Greg's points. The feedback
> solicitation just seems to go on forever ("and is there anyone who
> has anything to say?"... silence) and what do you want? You want us
> to tell you how well you did? That's easy. Put the concom members and
> the organization staff on the stage and have us politely applaud.
> Want a bitch session about what went wrong? I'm not a marketing
> person but that seems not the way to end the conference experience.
> There are other ways to get such feedback to you.
>
> So, yes to a plenary closing, but it should take about ten minutes if
> that. Announce the attendance. Pimp the next show. Have a raffle (we
> love to win free stuff). Have a prize for the attendee with the worst
> haircut (or some such). Then send us on our way.
>
> S.
>
> > Cheers,
> > -Greg and Fitz
> >
> > --
> > Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

> sander@temme.net              http://www.temme.net/sander/
> PGP FP: 51B4 8727 466A 0BC3 69F4  B7B8 B2BE BC40 1529 24AF

Hi

I love the idea that we approach the Plenary as a way of closing the
circle - sending everyone home with a sense of completion and dare we
say pride in what was accomplished.

It might sound a bit much but in this day of digital instant imaging.
couldn't we - not say we would be the first - have a short visual
presentation of the highlights of the event. Not a long piece but just
a few minutes as maybe we do the audio thank you and acknowledgments.
Not sure how this might evolve but everyone is taking pictures so I
would think we could pull this together fairly easily. But that is
just one thought and I am not attached to it.

But as someone who is attached to ceremonial art and work the energy
flow of an event is critical an this piece is literally one of the two
bookends that holds apachecon together.

so enough verbiage ++++1

--
Namaste'