Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu> on 2009/05/28 19:48:01 UTC

NOTICE file reqs?

I'm poking around in the incubator guide to understand the requirements
for a first release. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what is
needed when it comes to NOTICE files, we have one that is copied from
the Hadoop project:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/branches/cassandra-0.3/NOTICE.txt

In this ticket I have suggested adding a .LICENSE file for each of the
jar files we depend on, to make it clear what license they are under. Is
that sufficient? https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-176

/Johan

Re: NOTICE file reqs?

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 2:46 AM, Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu> wrote:

> Matthieu Riou wrote:
> > On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Johan Oskarsson <johan@oskarsson.nu
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I'm poking around in the incubator guide to understand the requirements
> >> for a first release. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what is
> >> needed when it comes to NOTICE files, we have one that is copied from
> >> the Hadoop project:
> >>

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/branches/cassandra-0.3/NOTICE.txt
> >>

> > The constraint on NOTICE is just to reproduce all NOTICEs of what you're
> > redistributing, when there are.
>
> I checked the svn or distribution of the libraries we use, some don't
> have a notice file and most are Apache projects and as such they have
> the same notice that we already have.
>
> There were three of them that had different notices from what we already
> have:
>
> https://svn.codehaus.org/groovy/tags/GROOVY_1_5_6/NOTICE.txt
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/thrift/trunk/NOTICE
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/java/tags/lucene_2_2_0/NOTICE.txt?revision=548013

Perfect. Unrelated to NOTICEs but you may want to try RAT [1] on a source
build as well, it's good at reporting a few things we often forget.

Matthieu

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/rat/

Re: NOTICE file reqs?

Posted by Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu>.

Re: NOTICE file reqs?

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu>wrote:

> I'm poking around in the incubator guide to understand the requirements
> for a first release. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what is
> needed when it comes to NOTICE files, we have one that is copied from
> the Hadoop project:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/branches/cassandra-0.3/NOTICE.txt

The constraint on NOTICE is just to reproduce all NOTICEs of what you're
redistributing, when there are.

> In this ticket I have suggested adding a .LICENSE file for each of the
> jar files we depend on, to make it clear what license they are under. Is
> that sufficient? https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-176

Sufficient for? It's certainly a good thing though.

Matthieu