Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Geoff Russell <ge...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/04 02:02:09 UTC

[users@httpd] Can't connect to server on 443 ... no log information being generated

Hi ...

My apache2 server was working perfectly and then it stopped.  I can connect
on port 80
but not on port 443.

Server version: Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu)
Server built:   2019-04-03T13:34:47

--------------------------Good
$  telnet ajp.geoffrussell.com.au 80
Trying 203.122.232.225...
Connected to geoffrussell.com.au.

---------------------------------Good
$ telnet localhost 443
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to teddy.geoffrussell.com.au.

---------------------------Bad
$  telnet ajp.geoffrussell.com.au 443
Trying 203.122.232.225...

Nothing happens. I've turned on "debug" LogLevel in the ajp-policy-ssl.conf
virtual host
file. No log messages of any kind.

How do I get logging of the actual connection process?  I've turned on
debug LogLevel in
every conf file I can find and I'm still getting nothing.

I have ufw set to allow https. But it doesn't matter if I turn it off. No
difference.

My virtual host file:

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
        <VirtualHost *:443>
                ServerName ajp.geoffrussell.com.au
                ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

Cheers,
Geoff Russell

Re: [users@httpd] Can't connect to server on 443 ... no log information being generated

Posted by Geoff Russell <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 9:36 AM William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 11:08 PM Geoff Russell <ge...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Douglas,
>>
>> Thanks for your help.   I've spent about 6 hours on this problem and it
>> has just vanished ...
>>
>> I tried elinks as a substitute for telnet ... telnet does succeed in the
>> socket handshake, to is useful for quick test of that part of the
>> connection.
>>

> Just for future reference, openssl s_client is the usual way to test the
> connection stack to the server, which gives you the options to force
> specific versions of tls, specific ciphers, etc.

Thanks for the tip. After about 6 hours of investigation ... the problem
has vanished as mysteriously as it arrived. I cleaned up some irrelevant
router port forwarding entries and everything started working.

Cheers,
Geoff

Re: [users@httpd] Can't connect to server on 443 ... no log information being generated

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Geoff Russell <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi Douglas,

Thanks for your help.   I've spent about 6 hours on this problem and it has
just vanished ...

I tried elinks as a substitute for telnet ... telnet does succeed in the
socket handshake, to is useful for quick test of that part of the
connection.

Everything pointed to my router because of the success in local connections
... so I removed some redundant settings on the router and bingo
the problem vanished. Not for any reason that makes any sense. But at least
I'm operational again!

Cheers,
Geoff

6 Fifth Ave,