Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2006/02/10 06:21:37 UTC

[VOTE] James 2.3.0a1

I tagged it: http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=376553&view=rev, and it is
the current nightly build.

I have also uploaded it to people.apache.org/~noel/james for review.

	--- Noel

Re: James 2.3.0a1

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> The release is at http://cvs.apache.org/dist/james/.
> [..]
> Would you mind posting an announcement to the user list with this
> information, and the other issues you posted separately?

I just posted the announce to the general list (here
http://james.apache.org/download.cgi we say we announce releases in the
general list).

Maybe we should send an announce to the user list, too.

I also updated changelog.xml in the site repository in SVN but I don't
know how to *publish* changes to the site. I think I read it somewhere
on the apache docs but I cannot find it right now. Can you help me?

I also plan to update the download page to give more visibility to this
alpha builds, and maybe we should also add an homepage news, to let the
world know something is happening :-) (please help me with a news text,
because my english is not good enough for an homepage!)

Stefano

Re: James 2.3.0a1

Posted by Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com>.
On 2/15/06, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Serge Knystautas wrote:
>
> > I'm personally not convinced with switching to derby as the default
>
> Only for alpha.  We want more testing, and this is one way to try and get
> it.
>
> > the conf file in the svn release tag has large TEMPORARY DEFAULT text
> > next to these new defaults.  I'd prefer we get this cleaned up, at
> > least before a 2.3 final release.
>
> They ARE temporary defaults.  :-)

Thanks for the explanation (and the laugh). :)

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501

Re: James 2.3.0a1

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Serge Knystautas wrote:
> Man, I'm behind this week's email.
>
> I'm +0.2 on the new release.  I'm personally not convinced with
> switching to derby as the default, but if you guys have blessed it as
> reliable, then great.
>
> ...however... the conf file in the svn release tag has large TEMPORARY
> DEFAULT text next to these new defaults.  I'd prefer we get this
> cleaned up, at least before a 2.3 final release.

I totally share your doubt about derby. This is an alpha release mainly
because we want to be able to do *changes* before 2.3.0 and not only
bugfixes.

I don't use derby and probably other james developer using the current
trunk are not using derby too, but, as a default, the idea of an
embedded db is good, so I hope that people will download this alpha and
report here a good feedback, or we'll decide what to do for the next alpha!

The large TEMPORARY should help testers understand that this is not an
official switch and that it could change in following alphas.

I hope that we'll have a faster release schedule for the following
alphas (we probably don't even need to vote for this kind of releases)
the next months and I would like to have a 2.3.0 final in summer 2006.

Stefano

RE: James 2.3.0a1

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: James 2.3.0a1

Posted by Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com>.

James 2.3.0a1

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Stefano,

The release is at http://cvs.apache.org/dist/james/.

> I updated JIRA to reflect the 2.3.0a1 release (instead of 2.3.0) and
> added slots for 2.3.0a2 and 2.3.0 final.

> So we have the 2.3.0a1 release notes here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10411&style
Name=Html&version=10690

> We should also link this document (http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesV2)
> that currently is the only guide to upgrade a james 2.2.0 to james
2.3.0a1.

Re: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a1

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> I tagged it: http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=376553&view=rev, and it is
> the current nightly build.
>
> I have also uploaded it to people.apache.org/~noel/james for review.

I updated JIRA to reflect the 2.3.0a1 release (instead of 2.3.0) and
added slots for 2.3.0a2 and 2.3.0 final. I moved every open bug to 2.3.0
or undefined.

Re: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a1

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> I tagged it: http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=376553&view=rev, and it is
> the current nightly build.
>
> I have also uploaded it to people.apache.org/~noel/james for review.

+1 Stefano Bagnara

PS: I checked it and I found this "non blocking" problems.

1) In the binary distribution my notes about phoenix "JAMES_PHOENIX.txt"
is in the root (I will move somewhere else, before final release)

2) james-src and james-with-phoenix-src packages are identical: phoenix
is never included! (we'll fix this for alpha 2).

3) derby url is relative to the start path. running james from the bin
folder will start it with a different db than running james from the
james folder (using bin/run.sh | bin\run.bat). I don't know how to fix
this (maybe changing the dir to the james root\bin, or better in the
root in the run script).

I will add this to JIRA as soon as possible.

Stefano

Re: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a1

Posted by Søren Hilmer <sh...@widetrail.dk>.
+1
--
Søren Hilmer, M.Sc., M.Crypt.
wideTrail            Phone: +45 25481225

Re: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a1

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
+1

Vincenzo

Re: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a1

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
+1

   Bernd

Re: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a1

Posted by Danny Angus <Da...@slc.co.uk>.
+1

---
Danny Angus
Lead Technical Consultant
ICT Products Development
4W - Ext: 33257
Direct Dial: +44 (0) 141 243 3257

|         |           "Noel J. Bergman"|
|         |           <noel@devtech.com|
|         |           >                |
|         |           10/02/2006 05:21 |
|         |           "James Developers|
|         |           List"            |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                       |
  |       Subject:  [VOTE] James 2.3.0a1                                                                                            |

I tagged it: http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=376553&view=rev, and it is
the current nightly build.

I have also uploaded it to people.apache.org/~noel/james for review.

             --- Noel

The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to the intended recipient) please notify us immediately on 0141 306 2050 and delete the message from your computer. You may not copy or forward it or use or disclose its contents to any other person. As Internet communications are capable of data corruption Student Loans Company Limited does not accept any  responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent. For this reason it may be inappropriate to rely on advice or opinions contained in an e-mail without obtaining written confirmation of it. Neither Student Loans Company Limited or the sender accepts any liability or responsibility for viruses as it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Opinions and views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and may not reflect the opinions and views of The Student Loans Company Limit
 ed.