Posted to users@maven.apache.org by kdwinkler <ke...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/06 01:49:21 UTC

Plugin version in SUPER POM simply ignored, with trivial pom.xml

maven-resources-plugin resolves to version 2.4.1 despite 2.3 being specified
in the super pom.

My entire pom is this:

<project ...>
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>com.redshiftsoft</groupId>
    <artifactId>redshift-pom</artifactId>
    <packaging>pom</packaging>
    <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</project>

mvn help:describe -Dplugin=resources

Reports version 2.4.1

HOWEVER,

mvn help:effective-pom

shows version 2.3 for this plugin.  And that is indeed the version in the
super pom.

Is this a known bug?

Apache Maven 2.2.1 (r801777; 2009-08-06 14:16:01-0500)
Java version: 1.6.0_16
Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows 7" version: "6.1" arch: "x86" Family: "windows"

Re: Plugin version in SUPER POM simply ignored, with trivial pom.xml

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Keith,

> Which version is reported by "mvn help:describe -Dplugin="?

My guess is that it is from <plugins>, not <reports>

Paul

Re: Plugin version in SUPER POM simply ignored, with trivial pom.xml

Posted by kdwinkler <ke...@gmail.com>.
> <plugins> and <reportings> are SEPARATE configurations.

Which version is reported by "mvn help:describe -Dplugin="?

Anyway, if I change my simple pom to this (note this is a brand new project,
this pom.xml is the only thing in the directory, there is no parent
pom--other than super--I have not modified the maven install or any settings
file):

<project...>

    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

    <groupId>com.redshiftsoft</groupId>
    <artifactId>redshift-pom</artifactId>
    <packaging>pom</packaging>
    <version>1.0.0</version>

    <reporting>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <artifactId>maven-resources-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>2.3</version>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </reporting>

</project>

mvn help:describe -Dplugin=resources

I still get:

Name: Maven Resources Plugin
  the output directory. There are two different kinds of resources: main
  resources and test resources. The difference is that the main resources
are
  the resources associated to the main source code while the test resources
are
  associated to the test source code. Thus, this allows the separation of
  resources for the main source code and its unit tests.
Group Id: org.apache.maven.plugins
Artifact Id: maven-resources-plugin
Version: 2.4.1
Goal Prefix: resources

Posted by kdwinkler <ke...@gmail.com>.
Right, it looks like "help:describe -Dplugin=resources" will download and
show the latest version of a plugin, regarless of what version the
project/pom actually specifies.

In which case this FAQ entry is VERY wrong, and should be update ASAP to
save people trouble:

http://maven.apache.org/general.html#plugin-version

Besides the FAQ being wrong this is problematic because the help displayed
may or may not be relevant for the plugin version used in project.

Here is the closes bug I found: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPH-53

Re: Plugin version in SUPER POM simply ignored, with trivial pom.xml

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@infinity.nu>.
Go by help effective pom not describe, it looks hokey to me. Is 2.4.1
the latest? Maybe that's what is being reported.

--Brian (mobile)

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Keith,