Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Michael Palmer <mp...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/08 16:58:05 UTC

Issues building Apache OOo from source on Debian Jessie

Hello:

I just tried to build Apache OOo (current SVN trunk, checked out last
night) from source. I generated the main/configure script and started
out, setting options and installing missing libraries through the Debian
package manager as I went along. That worked for a while, but eventually
I got stumped.

Questions/issues:

1. I noticed that the options
--disable-odk, --disable-gnome-vfs, and --disable-gtk, while described
in the help, failed with

-disable-gtk: command not found

etc. In the case of --disable-gtk, that actually got me stumped, as I'm
not sure which libraries/packages I'm actually missing, and I couldn't
find a proper place in the configure script to disable forcibly (as I
had done with the others).

2. I rather would not build all of Openoffice; I only want to fix the
included Python interpreter and pyuno library. I would like to use
Apache OOo work with the library manager Bibus, which is a Python 2
program.

Debian ships with Libreoffice, which now includes only Python 3 and thus
shuts out Bibus. Apache OOo ships with Python 2; however, the Python
executable and the pyuno library that are bundled in the Debian files
are compiled with UCS2 (16 bit) unicode support, whereas the Debian
system Python and libraries are compiled with UCS4 (32 bit) unicode.
This also makes the OOo and the system Python libraries incompatible.

I guess improving the system/OOo Python interoperability would benefit
other users, too. Since the OOo build system already contains a
--with-system-python flag, would it be possible to set that flag for
compiling the Debian packages? Alternatively, is there a way to compile
just Python and pyuno from source myself, without having to compile all
the rest of OOo?

Thanks for any help, Michael

--
Michael Palmer

Department of Chemistry
University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. W
Waterloo, Ontario
N2L 3G1
Canada

Office: ESC 234
Phone:  (519) 888 4567 ext 35100

Re: Issues building Apache OOo from source on Debian Jessie

Posted by Michael Palmer <mp...@gmail.com>.
Hello Andrea,

thanks for replying.

On 08/03/16 04:01 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Michael Palmer wrote:
>> I just tried to build Apache OOo (current SVN trunk, checked out last
>> night) from source. I generated the main/configure script and started
>
> Good! Welcome to OpenOffice.
>
>> Questions/issues:
>> 1. I noticed that the options
>> --disable-odk, --disable-gnome-vfs, and --disable-gtk, while described
>> in the help, failed with
>> -disable-gtk: command not found
>
> Strange. Can you paste the exact syntax you used to call configure?

OK. That error is spurious. I simply forgot a line continuation
character when I collected the options in a little wrapper script.

> This
> seems like a wrong concatenation of options. You can also share your
> config.log file on pastebin or similar site. I've tried adding
> "--disable-gtk" to my options for ./configure and configure ran
> successfully.

Yes, with the line continuation character in place, the options are
recognized. Sorry for the noise.

>> 2. I rather would not build all of Openoffice; I only want to fix the
>> included Python interpreter and pyuno library.
>
> The build system is complex, to say it nicely, and I can't help you with
> partial builds. Maybe someone else will have something to say on this.

OK

>> Since the OOo build system already contains a
>> --with-system-python flag, would it be possible to set that flag for
>> compiling the Debian packages?
>
> Our policy for the Linux binaries we release through the openoffice.org
> site is to limit system dependencies to the bare minimum.

I do see the point in general, although the Debian system is rather
monolithic, and I think Python is installed by default anyway.

> The binaries
> we ship will thus be self-contained enough for running on virtually
> every Linux distribution.

OK. May I still suggest that the bundled Python be built with the flag

--enable-unicode=ucs4

and pyuno with the same or an equivalent setting? That would match the
system Python on Debian and, as far as I can see, all other major Linux
distributions, and it might help to make the bundled Python and pyuno
compatible with system Python and libraries.

Thanks very much for your help, and best wishes

Michael

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Michael Palmer wrote:
> I just tried to build Apache OOo (current SVN trunk, checked out last
> night) from source. I generated the main/configure script and started

Good! Welcome to OpenOffice.

> Questions/issues:
> 1. I noticed that the options
> --disable-odk, --disable-gnome-vfs, and --disable-gtk, while described
> in the help, failed with
> -disable-gtk: command not found

Strange. Can you paste the exact syntax you used to call configure? This
seems like a wrong concatenation of options. You can also share your
config.log file on pastebin or similar site. I've tried adding
"--disable-gtk" to my options for ./configure and configure ran
successfully.

> 2. I rather would not build all of Openoffice; I only want to fix the
> included Python interpreter and pyuno library.

The build system is complex, to say it nicely, and I can't help you with
partial builds. Maybe someone else will have something to say on this.

> Since the OOo build system already contains a
> --with-system-python flag, would it be possible to set that flag for
> compiling the Debian packages?

Our policy for the Linux binaries we release through the openoffice.org
site is to limit system dependencies to the bare minimum. The binaries