Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew Hole <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/12 19:59:09 UTC

Tomcat Cluster

Hello guys!

I've the following configuration on server.xml for two different instances
of tomcat (on the same server). BUT, i don't know why, session replication
doesn't work.
Could you help me to find why?

Thanks

Instance 1:

<Cluster                  className="
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"
                                       doClusterLog="true"
                                     clusterLogName="clusterlog"
                                  manager.className="
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager"
                   manager.expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"
               manager.notifyListenersOnReplication="false"
        manager.notifySessionListenersOnReplication="false"
                            manager.sendAllSessions="false"
                        manager.sendAllSessionsSize="500"
                    manager.sendAllSessionsWaitTime="20">
                  <Membership
                                          className="
org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService"
                                          mcastAddr="228.0.0.4"
                                   mcastBindAddress="127.0.0.1"
                                 mcastClusterDomain="d10"
                                          mcastPort="45564"
                                     mcastFrequency="1000"
                                      mcastDropTime="30000"
                                    recoveryCounter="10"
                                    recoveryEnabled="true"
                                  recoverySleepTime="5000"/>
                  <Receiver
                                           className="
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"
                                    tcpListenAddress="auto"
                                       tcpListenPort="9016"
                                  tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
                                      tcpThreadCount="6"/>
                  <Sender
                                           className="
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter"
                                     replicationMode="fastasyncqueue"
                                      recoverTimeout="5000"
                                      recoverCounter="6"
                        doTransmitterProcessingStats="true"
                                   doProcessingStats="true"
                                      doWaitAckStats="true"
                                       queueTimeWait="true"
                                        queueDoStats="true"
                                      queueCheckLock="true"
                                          ackTimeout="15000"
                                          waitForAck="true"
                                    keepAliveTimeout="80000"
                            keepAliveMaxRequestCount="-1"/>
                  <Valve                   className="
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve"

filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.css;.*\.png;.*\.jpeg;.*\.jpg;.*\.htm;.*\.html;.*\.txt;"
                                    primaryIndicator="true" />
                  <Valve                    className="
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.JvmRouteBinderValve"
                                             enabled="true" />
                  <ClusterListener         className="
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.ClusterSessionListener" />
                  <ClusterListener         className="
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.JvmRouteSessionIDBinderListener" />
                  <Deployer                className="
org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.FarmWarDeployer"
                                            tempDir="${catalina.base
}/war-temp"
                                          deployDir="${catalina.base
}/war-deploy/"
                                           watchDir="${catalina.base
}/war-listen/"
                                       watchEnabled="true"/>
                  </Cluster>

Instance 2

[...]
                                       tcpListenPort="9017"

Re: Tomcat Cluster

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 13, 2008 12:08 AM, Andrew Hole <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2008 7:23 AM, David Rees <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Have you tried starting with a minimal configuration and then adding
> > options as you deem necessary?
>
> What you consider the minimal configuration?

See the docs. Looking for "Simple Cluster Configuration". I'm guessing
that you are using TC 5.5 from your previous config, but it's even
easier with TC 6.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/cluster-howto.html

-Dave

Re: Tomcat Cluster

Posted by David Brown <da...@davidwbrown.name>.
Maybe Dave means to just run one Tomcat instance. There is in the TC doco info about the minimalist TC if memory serves. Since you are attempting a type of load-balancing it would serve you well to reply with a lot more info about your overall architecture:

OS: vendor, build version, updates (service packs).
HW: (manufacturer, # of cores, # of chips, clock, memory, bus, etc.). See: http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/rint2006.html
Network topology (lan, wan, routable, non-routable, dns, proxy, web server, firewall, etc.). ASCII network map is good for the ML.
TC: version and configuration.
LOGS: logging configured and enabled. If you can download and compile TC locally then you can run Log4j from within the code in an effort to see where you problems reside with running two instances.

N.B.: my current gig requires that I run multiple TC instances. I will reply with my success or failure for review.

Andrew Hole wrote ..

Re: Tomcat Cluster

Posted by Andrew Hole <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tomcat Cluster

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tomcat Cluster

Posted by Juha Laiho <Ju...@iki.fi>.
Andrew Hole wrote:
> I have both tomcat instances on the same machine, and tcpListenPort are
> different on both server.xml: instance 1 setuped with 9016 and instance 2
> with 9017.
>
> When I stop one of tomcats, the other is notified properly with the
> following message:
>
> 12-Feb-2008 11:19:57 org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster
> memberDisappeared
> INFO: Received member
> disappeared:org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastMember
> [tcp://127.0.0.1:9017,catalina,127.0.0.1,9017,
> alive=495495]
> 12-Feb-2008 11:19:57 org.apache.catalina.cluster.util.FastQueue remove
> INFO: FastQueue.remove: Remove aborted although queue enabled
>
> However, if you stop one of tomcats, the sessions hanging in that tomcat,
> not switch to the other,
> and we need to re-execute login in the application.

This might not be relevant, but how about the data that is stored within
the session? Is the application coded so that everything that goes into
session is either serializable or transient?
--
..Juha

Re: Tomcat Cluster

Posted by Andrew Hole <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

I have both tomcat instances on the same machine, and tcpListenPort are
different on both server.xml: instance 1 setuped with 9016 and instance 2
with 9017.

When I stop one of tomcats, the other is notified properly with the
following message:

12-Feb-2008 11:19:57 org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster
memberDisappeared
INFO: Received member
disappeared:org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastMember
[tcp://127.0.0.1:9017,catalina,127.0.0.1,9017,
alive=495495]
12-Feb-2008 11:19:57 org.apache.catalina.cluster.util.FastQueue remove
INFO: FastQueue.remove: Remove aborted although queue enabled

However, if you stop one of tomcats, the sessions hanging in that tomcat,
not switch to the other,
and we need to re-execute login in the application.

Best regards

Re: Tomcat Cluster

Posted by David Brown <da...@davidwbrown.name>.