Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Rishabh Joshi <ri...@coreobjects.com> on 2007/11/12 15:12:34 UTC

Best way to create multiple indexes

Hi,

I have a requirement and was wondering if someone could help me in how to go about it. We have to index about 8-9 million documents and their size can be anywhere from a few KBs to a couple of MBs. These documents are categorized into many 'groups' and 'sub-groups'. I wanted to know if we can create multiple indexes based on 'groups' and then on 'sub-groups' in Solr? If yes, then how do we go about it? I tried going through the section on 'Collections' in the Solr Wiki, but could not make much use of it.

Regards,
Rishabh Joshi

Re: Best way to create multiple indexes

Posted by Dwarak R <dw...@solutionnet.net>.
Hi Guys

How do we add word documents / pdf / text / etc documents in solr ?. How the
content of the files are stored or indexed ?. Does the documents are stored
as XML in the filesystem ?

Regards

Dwarak R
Posted by Rishabh Joshi <ri...@coreobjects.com>.
Ryan,

We currently have 8-9 million documents to index and this number will grow in the future. Also, we will never have a query that will search across groups, but, we will have queries that will search across sub-groups for sure.
Now, keeping this in mind we were thinking if we could have multiple indexes at the 'group' level at least.
Also, can multiple indexes be created dynamically? For example: In my application if I create a 'logical group', then an index should be created for that group.

Rishabh

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.