Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Jacob Wujciak <ja...@voltrondata.com.INVALID> on 2023/01/12 00:06:44 UTC

Adding a CODEOWNERS file

Hello Everyone,

As discussed in an issue spawned by the state of the project thread [1] I
have created a draft PR that adds a CODEOWNERS file to apache/arrow [2].

Adding a CODEOWNERS file will allow committers to be automatically
requested for reviews that they are interested in (based on touched files,
enabling them to basically "subscribe" to a selection of PRs based on their
interests/competence within the monorepo without having to watch all
notifications for the repo.
The main advantage in my opinion is, that it removes the burden of finding
an (initial) reviewer for a PR for contributors, which is a major block in
the arrow dev workflow, especially for new contributors.

Note that adding a CODEOWNERS file will not automatically activate the
branch protection rules to enforce a codeowner review on the respective
code.

Please review the PR and add yourself to the file via suggestion or direct
push to the branch! Documentation on CODEOWNERS file and syntax: [3]

Thanks,

Jacob
[1]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/issues/15232
[2]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/33622
[3]:
https://docs.github.com/en/repositories/managing-your-repositorys-settings-and-features/customizing-your-repository/about-code-owners

Re: Adding a CODEOWNERS file

Posted by Kevin Gurney <kg...@mathworks.com>.
Yes, thank you for taking the initiative on this, Jacob!

Best Regards,

Kevin Gurney
This sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks for doing this!

Regards

Antoine.

Re: Adding a CODEOWNERS file

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.