Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org> on 2020/10/22 22:47:04 UTC

ASF Branding and project names

Hi,

In recent time I've noticed a lot of issue with use of the Apache MXNet brand. In short the project name is "Apache MXNet" not "MXNet" and needs to be called that by 3rd parties. If you as a committer or PPMC member find the company you work for, or someone else, is not calling it "Apache MXnet" you need to do something about it.

For more information please see the ASF policies on naming and branding see [1] and this set of slides and talk by Shane [2][3] will also help. He also gave a similar talk at this years ApacheCon which should be up on the ASFs YouTube channel shortly. There is also incubator policy [4] which requires press release to be reviewed before being published.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
2. https://www.slideshare.net/shanecurcuru/profiting-from-apache-brands-without-losing-your-soul
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cQMhysKeyU
4 https://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html

Re: ASF Branding and project names

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> Thanks for the clarification on what affiliation means in this context. One follow-up question is that in the policy, it mentions that "the Apache Press Team MUST review any releases by affiliated organizations or groups ..." whereas you mentioned that the review is done by the PPMC.

I would run it by both if possible, and it may depend if it's just a blog post or a real pass release, but the line can be a little blurry between the two.

 > Otherwise, if the requirement is indeed to reach out to press@, I wonder how people deal with confidentiality.

I think we can trust press@ to keep things confidential if needed. The press@ list is archived but is private.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: ASF Branding and project names

Posted by Sheng Zha <zh...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Thanks for the clarification on what affiliation means in this context. One follow-up question is that in the policy, it mentions that "the Apache Press Team MUST review any releases by affiliated organizations or groups ..." whereas you mentioned that the review is done by the PPMC. Does it mean that the PPMC is acting in the capacity of the press team? Otherwise, if the requirement is indeed to reach out to press@, I wonder how people deal with confidentiality. Of course, this would be easier if the requirement is to have PR reviewed by the PPMC members who are employed by the affiliated group.

Best,
Sheng

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Sheng Zha <zh...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Thanks for sharing that. I reviewed the content and found them very helpful in clarifying the requirement. I recommend community members to review them for a better understanding of the branding requirements.

On the incubator PR policy, one part that isn't clear to me is the following statement: