Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by Michael Oczkowski <Mi...@seeq.com> on 2014/04/23 18:14:10 UTC

whirr version returns can't find main

I downloaded Whirr 0.8.2 (also 0.8.1) on my Ubuntu 14.04 machines running OpenJDK 6.  When I run bin/whirr version, the result is:

ubuntu@ip:~/Programs/Whirr/whirr-0.8.2-src$<mailto:ubuntu@ip:~/Programs/Whirr/whirr-0.8.2-src$> bin/whirr version
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/whirr/cli/Main
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.whirr.cli.Main
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
Could not find the main class: org.apache.whirr.cli.Main. Program will exit.

One one of the machines I did mvn install in the Whirr 0.8.2 root directory where all tests passed and it built.  Afterwards, when I run bin/whirr version there, the result is:
Apache Whirr ${project.version}
Jclouds 1.5.8

Any idea what's happening?  Thanks!

Michael Oczkowski, Ph.D.
Big Data Architect & Chief Data Scientist
Seeq Corporation
206-801-9339 x704
[cid:F25521F6-6CD3-434A-B057-562FA55E4AB6]<http://www.seeq.com/>
Transforming industrial process data into actionable intelligence
Connect: LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/3126445?trk=tyah> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Seeq-Corporation/424546840977984> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/SeeqCorporation>

RE: whirr version returns can't find main

Posted by Michael Oczkowski <Mi...@seeq.com>.
Yes I stupidly downloaded the wrong file and using the binary file works fine.

However when I did build the source (mvn install), even though it passed all tests, running bin/whirr version gave me
Whirr {$project.version}
not
Whirr 0.8.2
as it does for the binary version.  I tried with both OpenJDK and Oracle 6 & 7 on Ubuntu 12.04, 13.10, and 14.04.

I downloaded Whirr 0.8.2 (also 0.8.1) on my Ubuntu 14.04 machines running OpenJDK 6.  When I run bin/whirr version, the result is:

ubuntu@ip:~/Programs/Whirr/whirr-0.8.2-src$<mailto:ubuntu@ip:~/Programs/Whirr/whirr-0.8.2-src$> bin/whirr version
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/whirr/cli/Main
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.whirr.cli.Main
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
Could not find the main class: org.apache.whirr.cli.Main. Program will exit.

You seem to have downloaded the source only version of whirr. Therefore you need to compile it first in order to run the whirr command. If you want to save yourself the trouble just download the binary version: it's a ~25MB archive (for example http://it.apache.contactlab.it/whirr/whirr-0.8.2/whirr-0.8.2.tar.gz)

One one of the machines I did mvn install in the Whirr 0.8.2 root directory where all tests passed and it built.  Afterwards, when I run bin/whirr version there, the result is:
Apache Whirr ${project.version}
Jclouds 1.5.8

Any idea what’s happening?  Thanks!

I don't get it: on some machine you did execute the compile command, on others you forgot to do so? :)

Re: whirr version returns can't find main

Posted by Marco Didonna <m....@gmail.com>.