Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> on 2019/02/27 16:37:53 UTC

Question on ZK commit/patch policy.

Historically we've only committed changes that have an associated JIRA. Now
with the move to gitbox we are seeing increased submissions (PRs) that
don't include a JIRA - I just committed one and then realized that it
didn't include a JIRA (sorry about that!). Given github and the recent move
to gitbox significantly streamlines the contribution process I'm wondering
if we should reconsider our process. Any thoughts? Anyone work on another
Apache project that does things differently and has pro/con to share?

Regards,

Patrick

Re: Question on ZK commit/patch policy.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.
Note: we discuss this on our wiki too: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CURATOR/Submitting+Pull+Requests

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
Is it because of simplicity (no need to decide whether a jira is necessary) or there’s a huge downside of committing patches without Jiras?

Andor

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Norbert Kalmar <nk...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
I tend to agree with Tamaas. A few lines of typo fix and similar patches
should be OK.
Anything bigger, it should have a jira. Basically how it was done recently.

Regards,
Norbert

Posted by Tamas Penzes <ta...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Brian Nixon <br...@gmail.com>.
I like having JIRAs for all changes because it allows one to track all the
changes to given components through the JIRA web interface and it forces
the contributor to spend some time upfront making sure their change is a
single coherent unit.

For trivial changes like spelling, whitespace, pruning of import, does it
make sense to have one super/umbrella ticket with multiple PRs attached?

-Brian

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.