Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Steinar Rune Eriksen <st...@viz.no> on 2006/08/31 00:05:27 UTC

Question regarding Maven projects and CVS/branching

Hi all,

I am wondering a bit about best practices for branching projects built
with Maven. (I use Maven 2.0.2)

I have a setup with a root pom.xml file for my top level, and my project
is J2EE based with sub components for JDO, hibernate, EJB, EAR etc. I
have different pom.xml files for each component and they have their own
version but inheriting common info from the root pom.xml file.

If I check my overall project into CVS I would typically be tagging and
branching from the top level. I have not used CVS in a more advanced way
than that but as far as I know I can potentially branch sub directories,
corresponding to each sub component. Does this seem like
overcomplicating things, and/or do you have other suggestions on how to
best manage versioning (perhaps with another SCM) in a Maven framework
with an hierarchical setup of a root pom.xml .

Best regards

Steinar Eriksen