Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Paul Hurley <pa...@paulhurley.co.uk> on 2007/03/19 10:22:51 UTC

Problem with forwarding and SPF

Hello all, Happy Pi day for last week...

I'm running Spam Assassin V3.1.7.0 via SAProxy for Win32
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/sawin32/).  I've recently implemented
SPF for my domain, which is working well.  However I ahve a problem with
SPF on email I receieve.  I have a few old email accounts that use
forwarding into my current account.  These generate false SPF failures
because of the forward (see below, this is a recruitment email that is
ham to me)

Now I could create a rule for mail receievd from 172.20.8.86 and a meta
rule that cancelled out mail that hit SPF fails and the receieved rule,
but that essentially means turning off SPF for that domain.  Any better
ideas ?

Thanks

Paul.

<quote>

</quote>

RE: Problem with forwarding and SPF

Posted by Dan Barker <db...@visioncomm.net>.
172.20.8.86 is in a private network. Do you trust it? Control it? In any
case, it appears that Trusted/Internal networks are not set up correctly.
You need to provide more information about your setup and the forwarder.

Dan

            From: "New Scientist
Jobs"<ne...@email.newscientist.com>
            Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:18:24 +0000 (GMT)
            To: paul.hurley@%olddomain%.net
            To: paul.hurley@%olddomain%.net

  Unless you manage DNS for newscientist.com then you're SOL. SPF has to
deal with verifying that the sending party's IP address is authorized to
send email from that particular domain (newscientist.com) and does not have
to do anything with your domain or domains that forward to your email
address unless you are sending the message. Click the link where SPF failed
and read.

  -B

Re: Problem with forwarding and SPF

Posted by Brian Wilson <wi...@bubba.org>.