Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by nareshk <na...@virtusa.com> on 2010/10/24 10:45:46 UTC

xalan-j is 3-4 times slower on solaris compared to windows

I am running SimpleTransform that is part of examples in a loop for 20 times
and measuring the performance of transform method. It is taking 3-4 times
more on Unix than in windows. I would assume that it will be much faster on
a server class machine, however the reverse is true. Any body has any ideas
why this is happening

JDK 1.5.0_25 on both solaris server and windows machines.

Re: xalan-j is 3-4 times slower on solaris compared to windows

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <ga...@gmail.com>.
I believe Xalan-J is written in pure java.

It could be the case, that a particular JVM implementation on a given
Unix flavor is less per-formant than on some JVM implementation on
Windows. This behavior may be a case with Xalan only (not necessarily
with every application running on both of these OSs).

I don't think Xalan can do much about these issues.

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM, nareshk <na...@virtusa.com> wrote:

> I am running SimpleTransform that is part of examples in a loop for 20 times
> and measuring the performance of transform method. It is taking 3-4 times
> more on Unix than in windows. I would assume that it will be much faster on
> a server class machine, however the reverse is true. Any body has any ideas
> why this is happening
>
> JDK 1.5.0_25 on both solaris server and windows machines.

Mukul Gandhi