Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roberto Fasciolo <ro...@huitale.com> on 2008/10/30 16:31:53 UTC

ProxyDirContext.lookup(String) using a lot of CPU time

Hello,

While profiling my application running on tomcat 6.0 and wicket 1.3.5 I've
noticed that a lot of CPU time is used in this tomcat's method:
ProxyDirContext.lookup(String).

My guess is that the problem is due to the fact that wicket is deployed as a
servlet filter (mapped on /*) and when a request is received tomcat is
trying looking for everything mapped to that URL.

For example, if the request is for http://server/contextroot/pages/APage
tomcat immediately finds the WicketFilter that is mapped to /*, but then it
goes all the times through all the possible options for servlet (because
there are no servlets mapped to that URL and no static contents matching
that either).

I've raised this in the wicket mailing list and this is the answer I've got:

> this sounds like a bug in tomcat, why dont you take it to their list?
> the way that jetty works is that it installs a default catch-all servlet
> in order for filters to run at all, so you might have to do the same
> thing.

(full thread available at:
http://www.nabble.com/Problem-with-using-wicket-as-a-filter-td20171597.html).

What do you think about this? Is there something I can do for avoding having
that method using almost all the CPU time used by my application?

Thanks,
-Roberto