Posted to dev@madlib.apache.org by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io> on 2017/07/05 22:39:41 UTC

MADlib Q2 report to ASF

Here is the draft ASF report for July 2017, covering Q2 2017 activity.

It is posted at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/July2017

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions and I will
update the report.

-------------------------------

MADlib

Big Data Machine Learning in SQL for Data Scientists.

MADlib has been incubating since 2015-09-15.

  1. Finalize trademark transfer from Pivotal to ASF.
  2. Continue to produce regular Apache (incubating) releases.
  3. Continue to execute and manage the project according to governance
model of the "Apache Way”.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  1. The Apache MADlib Project is ready for graduation out of the
incubator.
Discussion by Project:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/070c6764fcd0448b2db8975936b52f7a28bd0e231c0e690288a6968e@%3Cdev.madlib.apache.org%3E
Vote by IPMC and community:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/733920464e8f8170d9cc831b701f275d757ee9448a7bfd05a1bf8dfd@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
Trademark transfer from Pivotal to ASF is being tracked in:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-125

  1. Some related events in Q2 2017:
     * May 25, 2017 - MADlib community call.  Topic:  New Features in
Apache MADlib 1.11 (Frank McQuillan)
     * Jun 21, 2017 - Greenplum meetup in San Francisco.  Topic:  Apache
Solr & MADlib (incubating): Enabling Massive Text Analytics In-Database
(Bharath Sitaraman)
     * Jul 5-7, 2017 - PG Day Russia.  Topic: Various on “Greenplum Day”
Jul 5 including in-database analyitics (Roman Shaposhnik and others)
     * Jul 25, 2017 (upcoming) - SF Bay ACM Chapter meetup.  Topic:
 Advanced Analytics for Security: Lateral Movement Detection (Anirudh
Kondaveti)

  2. See material technical conversations on user/dev mailing lists and in
the appropriate JIRAs and pull requests.

  1. TLP readiness - maturity evaluation matrix
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/ASF+Maturity+Evaluation
  2. TLP readiness - graduation resolution
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/Graduation+Resolution
  3. TLP readiness - documented release process
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/Release+Process
  4. Active work in progress for 6th ASF release MADlib v1.12 scheduled for
Jul/Aug 2017.  Features include: more graph analytics (weakly connected
components, breadth first search, all pairs shortest path, multiple graph
measures), neural nets, stratified sampling, train-test split, improvements
to decision tree & random forest, improvements to summary function
  5. Mailing list activity in Q2:  295 postings to dev, 77 postings to user.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  MADlib v1.11 on 5/16/17.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected:

  Orhan Kislal on 9/7/16 and Nandish Jayaram on 9/7/16.

Re: MADlib Q2 report to ASF

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.
Thanks for the suggestion Roman.  I updated the report with this additional
information.

Frank

Re: MADlib Q2 report to ASF

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.