Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Manu Zhang <ow...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/27 15:04:51 UTC

Can we have more quick start examples ?

Hey guys,

I find Beam examples under the examples folder are not easy to run due to
dependency on Google specific services. Even the MinimalWordCount
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-beam/blob/master/examples/java/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/examples/MinimalWordCount.java>
requires
input and output to be on Google Cloud Storage. Others like
WindowedWordCount
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-beam/blob/master/examples/java/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/examples/WindowedWordCount.java>
require
BigQuery.  I wouldn't expect newcomers to tweak IO themselves.

Can we have more quick start examples that can be run anywhere ?

Thanks,
Manu Zhang

Re: Can we have more quick start examples ?

Posted by Neelesh Salian <ns...@cloudera.com>.
+1 to this.
I liked the guides for the setup for GC and Storage.
The documentation is by far better than any guide I have seen. I also
provided feedback on the documentation where it could use improvement.

But certainly a more abstract and user friendly example would be
encouraging for new users and folks curious in using Beam itself.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>
wrote:

> Yes it sounds good to me. I would love to see this as part of the examples.
>
> Ismael and I also started the beam-samples (http://github.com/jbonofre/
> beam-samples) that could be part of the examples.
> The purpose is to have more real use cases implementation with real data.
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> ⁣​
>
> On Oct 27, 2016, 17:17, at 17:17, Jesse Anderson <je...@smokinghand.com>

Neelesh Srinivas Salian
Customer Operations Engineer

Re: Can we have more quick start examples ?

Posted by Davor Bonaci <da...@apache.org>.
Indeed -- this is a clear area for improvement. Sources are usually not as
big of an issue -- these resources are publicly accessible regardless
where/how you run the pipeline (locally, or with any runner). On the other
hand, Sinks require write access, which is often more problematic.

One correction, however: WordCount supports both GCS and local paths, with
some exceptions depending on a runner.

There are several efforts to improve this, most notably BEAM-59, which is
assigned to Pei.

Posted by Jesse Anderson <je...@smokinghand.com>.

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.