Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Andrey Kouznetsov <be...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/01 09:28:49 UTC

How to use avro with HBase now?

Hello HBASE users!

My project is integrating with another projects using Avro. The project started using HBase and it would be useful to use some HBase Avro API but according to HBASE-6653[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6553] avro gateway support has been removed in HBase 0.96.0.
Is it possible to find this gateway anywhere in opensource lands? I was digging into github and *.apache.org but didn't found anything useful.

Re: How to use avro with HBase now?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
We removed the Avro gateway because the implementation as contributed was a
work in progress that was not subsequently maintained. You don't want it
anyway, you should build your own or consider Kiji: http://www.kiji.org/

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: How to use avro with HBase now?

Posted by Nicolas Liochon <nk...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

IIRC, it's still there on 0.94. 0.96 is not yet released, it's still in
dev, so 0.94 is anyway the version to use. HBASE-6553 contains the patch to
revert if you want to build your own 0.96 version with Avro.

>From the mail archive, the reasons for deprecate it then remote it were:
'HBASE-2400 introduced a new connector contrib architecturally equivalent
to the
Thrift connector, but using Avro serialization and associated transport and
RPC
server work. However, it remains unfinished, was developed against an old
version of Avro, is currently not maintained, and is regarded as "not
production
quality"'

So it will be complicated anyway... You may want to investigate some other
solutions (hbase java api, async hbase, ...)

Cheers,

Nicolas