Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andreas Schildbach <an...@schildbach.de> on 2004/11/17 16:26:47 UTC

Re: Tomcat 5.5.4, Logging and the death of my friend localhost_log

Jacob Kjome wrote:

> What I liked about the ServletContext logging was that I could
> dynamically create the file using a simple <Logger> in the <Context>
> element of my context configuration file.  This way, all I have to do is
> the deploy the app and the log file is created and rolled for me.

 > I'd like to see something like the old functionality come
> back, although I'm not holding my breath.

I second that.

There is even one more reason why Tomcat 5.0 logging was better:

With Tomcat 5.0, it was possible to log different web applications to
different log files by using the "swallowOutput" attribute of the
Context element, even if those applications used the same libraries. I
know that swallowOutput is just a hack to capture the output of badly
written applications that do their logging via System.out, but hey, it
also worked for java.util.logging-based applications and it seemed to be
the only way to distinguish between web applications.

With Tomcat 5.5, I have no idea what application a log entry of, say,
class org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase is belonging to. It
could be just any of my applications, because they all use Commons
Fileupload. It is not sufficient to only select by package and class names.

Regards,

Andreas